Fast swimming worm with red body/white head

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2021
Messages
52
Reaction score
28
Location
canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I found this fast swimming worm in my tank. Does anyone know what it is? Thank!

45C88CDC-CE16-458B-8323-173B36265749.jpeg
 
Looks like some kind of oligochaete, or hirudinid (leech). What did the mouthparts look like? being a fast swimmer I'd suspect some kind of ectoparasite.

Not sure if something like prazipro would work for this type of worm. These treatments are meant for round/flatworms, not segmented worms.
 
Last night I found this fast swimming worm in my tank. Does anyone know what it is? Thank!

45C88CDC-CE16-458B-8323-173B36265749.jpeg
Generally, fast moving organisms are not parasites. Some can be micro predators, but the worm parasites I know of are slow. I don’t know what this is though - seems to have a segmented body though, so not a fluke. I don’t see a sucker at both ends, so not a leech.
Kay
 
Surf fisherman catch them and use them for bait to catch pompano, whiting, spots, etc.

I am pretty sure they are a predator of bivalves...
 
Believe there is one family of Leech that has secondarily lost the suckers and parasitic lifestyle. If I remember right they are predators of snails or bivalves.

So might not be good but maybe not all that bad either—unless it’s eating all your snails or clams.
 
Believe there is one family of Leech that has secondarily lost the suckers and parasitic lifestyle. If I remember right they are predators of snails or bivalves.

So might not be good but maybe not all that bad either—unless it’s eating all your snails or clams.
Interesting! I have a pretty good number of CUC members in my tank, but haven't seen any deaths - thankfully. I've taken it out since I'm worried it'll eat my corals/fish
 
It is a species of ragworm or clam worm.
We see them at certain times of the year in massive swarms along our coast. The do not sting, but can bite.
Thank you! I've never seen anything quite like it and it hadn't come up on any hitchhiker ID guides I've used. I've discarded it as a precaution :)
 
Generally, fast moving organisms are not parasites. Some can be micro predators, but the worm parasites I know of are slow. I don’t know what this is though - seems to have a segmented body though, so not a fluke. I don’t see a sucker at both ends, so not a leech.
Kay
Thank you! This is really reassuring.
 
Looks like some kind of oligochaete, or hirudinid (leech). What did the mouthparts look like? being a fast swimmer I'd suspect some kind of ectoparasite.

Not sure if something like prazipro would work for this type of worm. These treatments are meant for round/flatworms, not segmented worms.
I didn't really get a good look at the mouthpart, but it didn't seem to have any pinchers/fangs
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top