Favia frag changing color, or dying? Lol

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
73
Reaction score
64
Location
New Market, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, new to keeping favias and picked up this frag, it was lime green with purple centers but this burgundy color has been spreading from the left. Any ideas? You can see a prior acan did not like this spot, but that was from year 1 and the tank is now mature at year 6, with new pumps and lights.

Its been in the tank about 5 weeks. I havent witnessed growth, but other corals in the tank are fine and growing (trumpets, blasto, acros, digis, montis, zoas, shrooms, stylo, sympodium, euphyllias) and fish are fine.

20190611_184347.jpg


1.024sg
450ca dosing pump
1300Mg dosing pump
9dkh dosing pump
PO4 .14ppn
NO3 25ppm
90 gallon seamless bowfront w 20 gallon sump. 4 x T5 plus 2x Kessil A80s. Gyre circulation. Skimmer and biopellets, occasional GFO if PO4 goes too high (over .20) and if I see any algae start growing other than coralline.

Tank is 6 years running and im 20 years in the hobby, so the higher nutrients are fine. It's not that. I promise you. Lol

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and assistance!

General pic
1560294070962844770464048792516.jpg
 
I certainly don't have nearly as much experience as you (I'm about 4 years addicted), but in my opinion it might be a result of the high nutrients. My current tank is a little over 2 years old and runs with higher nutrients. I have mixed reef with sps, lps, leathers, anemones, and everything is thriving despite the high nutrients. BUT, I have noticed an adjustment period most new corals in the higher nutrient environment (about 6 weeks). I had picked up a favia frag not too long ago and looked similar. After about 2 months it started to perk up and grow. Now it's looking great and growing quickly. As you very well know, there's a laundry list of possibilities as to what is irritating it. But in my opinion, it might just be getting use to its new home.
 
Looks like it's dying. Mine did the same. Everything in the tank fine but that and my gold torch. Turns out I had a lot of tin in the water.
 
I certainly don't have nearly as much experience as you (I'm about 4 years addicted), but in my opinion it might be a result of the high nutrients. My current tank is a little over 2 years old and runs with higher nutrients. I have mixed reef with sps, lps, leathers, anemones, and everything is thriving despite the high nutrients. BUT, I have noticed an adjustment period most new corals in the higher nutrient environment (about 6 weeks). I had picked up a favia frag not too long ago and looked similar. After about 2 months it started to perk up and grow. Now it's looking great and growing quickly. As you very well know, there's a laundry list of possibilities as to what is irritating it. But in my opinion, it might just be getting use to its new home.

I suppose from that angle it could be. I havent had a coral take that long to adjust, but certainly possible.
 
Looks like it's dying. Mine did the same. Everything in the tank fine but that and my gold torch. Turns out I had a lot of tin in the water.

Yeah I have a feeling its not happy for some odd thing building up for 6 years. I have been doing 50% extra water changes for 2 weeks now, and I do have one of those comprehensive lab kits out, with results on the way. Ill be sure to post the results
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top