Favia fragging-what are best practices? Can I use a dremel?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
2,123
Reaction score
64
Location
Rocky Mountain High
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I need to frag/re-mount some favia I have that are overgrowing their plug. I do not have a band saw. Do not plan to get one. I live in a condo so space is premium. ;) I do have a circular saw... that seems very scary to me. What are other options? Can I use a dremel? If so, which one and which bit would be best. Are there other tools that would get the job done?

Tried to search on here for threads on fragging acans, but didn't have luck finding. I am going to post pretty much same exact thread for acans. :)

TIA!
 
tagging along to see what others have to say. I would think a Dremel with a diamond bit would be ok to use.
 
Dremel would do the job but it will be messy and sometimes the survival rate isn't all that good. Cuts also aren't very precise. Best thing to use is a bandsaw. Best investment I made last year. very clean cuts, easy to use and doesn't take a lot of room. It's about 1.5 foot long and a foot wide, maybe a little bigger.
 
the inland wet saw is small and amazingly efficient. IMO there is no other way to frag LPS. Acans,brains, even branching frogspawn. You can cut these and they will have full PE in a matter of minutes.

Dimensions: 18" high x 10" deep x 12" wide​
 
big bone cutters can often get the job done. You mentioned you are cutting a frag from an encrusted plug? Bone cutters will go through that easily.

I also use a dremel w/ diamond wheel and it works well. You need a steady hand to cut clean.
 
+1 on band saw- I used to use a dremel but once I got a bandsaw it's a piece of cake and I use it all the time, not just for frags but for cutting rocks into good aquascape shapes. anwyays, if no bandsaw then dremel is next best thing. Try to cut in between polyps as best you can & minimize tissue damage and make large enough frags so in case you lose a polyp or two from being cut you still have some survivors.
 
Thanks everyone! Yes, right now these are frags that are overgrowing plugs. Not colonies. I think I am going to go with a dremel and a good diamond blade and see what happens. I do have a very steady hand and am good at things that require high dexterity/detail. Any tips for success with a dremel? I imagine salt water isn't good for them.
 
Inland DBS is great, the little one. Sold mine a while back, that thing rocked. Around 200+.

Otherwise. I would use a dremel and cut from the bottom up until you are through MOST of the skeleton. Not all the way to the flesh. Then, try to snap the skeleton and cut the flesh with a clean blade. Or just smack it with a hammer and screwdriver, dip and pray.
 
Drolback, thanks for the input. Good thing I have an acan that I'm not super fond of to practice on! Poor thing.
 
I highly recommend to forget the dremmel and go straight to the bandsaw (if you are going to cut expensive pieces and often). see if a local reefer and friend want to split the costs with you and both of you can use it. I wish I had never gotten the dremel and just bought the bandsaw. ALso depends on how much you are going to frag and the cost of those pieces. I frag every 4-6 weeks, about 30 pieces each time so using a bandsaw is a must for me. If you are only going to cut a few things every few months or so and they are not expensive collector pieces, then it makes much more sense to get the dremel. Just remember, cutting with a dremel isn't precise, you have to cut big enough pieces so they can survive, can't shape out the frags with ease and dry cuts (compared to the saw) so there is overheating of the blade. good luck with whatever you get.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top