FILTER SOCKS - do you need them, alternatives and the great debate

Do you use filter socks or some other replacement alternative for it?

  • YES - Filter Socks

    Votes: 105 47.9%
  • No - I use something in its place.

    Votes: 70 32.0%
  • No - I got NOTHING in there!

    Votes: 44 20.1%

  • Total voters
    219

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2018
Messages
2,301
Reaction score
2,947
Location
Butler County, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you run filter socks, if YES - what is your opinion? Does it help? Is it a pain? For those saying NO - why do you not run them and what type of alternatives (if any) are you running?



FULL DISCLOSURE: I hate filter socks.
 
I have never used a filter sock or similar on my tank. I don’t use them because I don’t have room in my undersized diy sump for them. All of my nutrient export is from a skimmer, fuge, and my rock and sand bed.
I usually have a lot of mulm in my sump, but my phosphates and nitrates stay low so I don’t worry about it and rarely clean it out.
 
Yes. Filter socks are great! They help remove larger waste that will normally just settle in the sump and they make the display look better IMO.
 
I don't run filter socks but I have some filter sponges where drain goes into sump and rinse/ squeeze this into the dirty tank water when do a wc.
I haven't got filter sock holders in my tank but I am contemplating getting some fine filter socks but would buy some felt and a cheap portable sewing machine that once watched a youtuber reefer make and says costs virtually nothing fir sewing machine ( something like £ 20 if remember correctly ) and the roll of felt cost next to nothing .
Would have to re-watch youtube video again.
I haven't holders so for the filters so would have tie them onto the drain pipe or have some kind fastening at bottom of tank/ top of sump somehow .
But I'm thinking as rinse out the sponges it rinses out alot but it looks like and I presume there still alot stuck inbetween the coarse sponges and I'm wanting to get my nitrates down as quite high at 40-50 but everything seems to be doing ok no problems that I know off anyway and thinking a fine filter sock if changed regulary would catch alot crap
 
I ran filter socks for years. Upgraded for a filter roller about 2 years ago. Realized my tank was starving which was causing problems. Removed my phosguard and carbon reactors and the filter roller. Turned that area in to one big chaeto fuge. Now I rely on nothing but the fuge, the skimmer and some marinepur balls and that's it! Things have never been happier, including my wife since I don't have to use the washer for socks.
 
Yes, filter socks help. And yes, I absolutely hate them. They're a hassle to change, a pain to clean and I've been looking into fleece rollers for the past few months.

The problem with my scenario isn't what I gain - but what I give up. I lose a gravity-fed ATO and have to permanently remove the filter sock/media holders. I also end up with a small unusable section of my sump where the overflows currently empty.
 
I ran filter socks for years. Upgraded for a filter roller about 2 years ago. Realized my tank was starving which was causing problems. Removed my phosguard and carbon reactors and the filter roller. Turned that area in to one big chaeto fuge. Now I rely on nothing but the fuge, the skimmer and some marinepur balls and that's it! Things have never been happier, including my wife since I don't have to use the washer for socks.
I may have to look into something like this for my setup. I still like my Zeo and Carbon/GFO reactors, but I've often wondered if the filter socks could be replaced entirely.
 
I use them. I agree they are a pain as they must be changed out twice a week and washed in the washer. I remove them from time to time when I go on vacay so its one less thing for my housesitter to take care of. They do serve a purpose. They help remove floaters in the water which is good. Removing them from the dedicated section of the sump only results in a bit more flowing water noise in the system when I get fed up with using them
 
I may have to look into something like this for my setup. I still like my Zeo and Carbon/GFO reactors, but I've often wondered if the filter socks could be replaced entirely.
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a small shop vac that attaches to a Home Depot/Lowes bucket that I have to vacuum out the bottom of the fuge chamber with maybe every 3-6 months depending. The macro does a good job eating the detritus but it does build up over time. I also do clean the sand bed maybe twice a year. Socks/rollers do a good job of keeping the gunk out but if you're willing to remove it manually once in a while it's no big deal.
 
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a small shop vac that attaches to a Home Depot/Lowes bucket that I have to vacuum out the bottom of the fuge chamber with maybe every 3-6 months depending. The macro does a good job eating the detritus but it does build up over time. I also do clean the sand bed maybe twice a year. Socks/rollers do a good job of keeping the gunk out but if you're willing to remove it manually once in a while it's no big deal.
Good to know - thanks for the head's up. I have a fairly detritus-free sump at present, which my "sump snails" are hard at work keeping it that way.
 
Good to know - thanks for the head's up. I have a fairly detritus-free sump at present, which my "sump snails" are hard at work keeping it that way.
Yea I have a pair of those GIGANTIC trochus types that I keep in the fuge as well as a few various emeralds/hermits that have gotten evicted from the DT. I hate the gunk as well and endeavor to keep it to a minimum. Socks have their advantages but I prefer this methodology.
 
I love sump snails! I even have some sump shrimp ;-)
I had a half dozen baby snails. I figured "aw, cute". Now I've got something like a 100-odd small trochus snails all over the sump. At least they stay out of the equipment for the most part...
 
Filter socks and similar items are super valuable to keeping good water quality and clarity. We have filter socks on 2 tanks and a rollermat on the other... if filter socks are too much work... buy a rollermat. Easy peasy. I wouldn't run a system without some form of large debris catcher. Rollermat is better if you don't like changing socks... but we have like 9 or more socks and just throw them in the washer machine with bleach once a week.
 
my sump has 6 socks and I absolutely hate them with a passion. I would like to personally throat punch whoever designed my sump with 6 freaking sock holders.

They work so I keep using them.

Really really want to throat punch whoever decided a sump needed 6 socks. I can't stress that enough.
 
I have never used a filter sock or similar on my tank. I don’t use them because I don’t have room in my undersized diy sump for them. All of my nutrient export is from a skimmer, fuge, and my rock and sand bed.
I usually have a lot of mulm in my sump, but my phosphates and nitrates stay low so I don’t worry about it and rarely clean it out.
What's mulm and GO BLUE!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top