FINALLY got my Phosphate to up .03, what do I dose today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jib
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jib

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Messages
599
Reaction score
695
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been having issues getting my PO4 up from 0. Have been dosing increasing amounts of NeoPhos over the past 10 days in the below amounts, and finally got my PO4 up to .03. Per advice from Randy and others, my PO4 was likely being bound up by the rocks and sand and needed to reach a saturation point. I may have finally reached my saturation point. My question now is, what do I dose today, if anything. Yesterday was a 10ml dose, which would be very high per the instructions on the bottle, should normally raise to .3, not the .03 that it did. Should I back down to a lower dose today? If so, and thoughts on what to dose?

Historical dosing:
  • 12/7 - .5ml
  • 12/8 - 1ml
  • 12/9 - 2ml
  • 12/10 - 3ml
  • 12/11 - 4ml
  • 12/12 - 5ml
  • 12/13 - 5ml
  • 12/14 - 6ml
  • 12/15 - 7ml
  • 12/16 - 10ml
I've also been dosing 2ml of NeoNitro daily to keep my NO3 up (right around 3-4 ppm). As well as 1ml daily of Microbacter 7 & Hydrogen Peroxide to try and control Dinos. NOt sure if this info is help but thought I'd add it.

Thank you,

Jib
 
Same issue here... but doing 2ml NeoPhos 2x per day. NO3 at 2.5ppm. Running UV for two weeks and dosing 2ml of OceanMagik because that’s what I was told... 20g AIO. InTank Media Basket with floss, Innovative Marine AquaShield 10w. Tunze 9001. Tank is an upgrade from a 15g with 50lbs of figi rock purchased live 2012, transferred 2017. November Ostreposis 2 years in a row... Corals are loving the phosphates...
4C1BC2A2-35FD-4970-AE3B-434F7A573D85.jpeg
7D5BA571-EB83-4662-B5BB-E692E8CD6875.jpeg
AD77313D-5267-4FC8-BDF0-2B56ADFEDDCF.jpeg
E62B2215-2141-4F59-B17E-745B4A2DEEE2.jpeg
02AA754F-0F83-465D-B7D5-C2BBAE37FC15.jpeg

3FD9649A-75BC-4E44-8ADD-FB66549F475F.jpeg
 
Yesterday was a 10ml dose, which would be very high per the instructions on the bottle
I go slow, my method may be wrong but I usually use 75% of the recommended dose just out of caution. Phyto says 5ml for 20g, I dose 2ml. You haven’t mentioned your tank volume.

You’re taking tank volume X desired increase X 3.785.
 
Last edited:
Keep going. 0.03 is bare minimum, higher is probably better. See what happens if you continue dosing. Phosphate isn't toxic at any level you could reasonably get, and there are plenty of reefs with much higher phosphate than minimum doing great. Some even run at 1-2ppm just fine. It won't hurt your tank to get the phosphates higher in order to see what the levels do if you continue dosing, and the corals may even like it if you have relatively high phosphates.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top