Hi Everyone!
I am totally new to this forum, and totally new to marine tanks!
I have some experience in freshwater tanks and now it is a time to check if I can use my knowledge and have some fun with salt water.
The aim is to not spend a fortune, learn as much on my own and other mistakes and if the hobby picks up momentum... I have some larger tanks waiting
Please share any of your thoughts, I really have no clue if what I read is applied as it should!
There is too much noise online and R2R will be my compass! I was checking the threads here and I am more confused than I was before, but looking at the pictures, it is doable!
I welcome everyone to post in here! I will be treating this thread as my kind of diary.
==========================================================================================
The Current State of Things:
| Tank:
8.5G (32 liters) 6mm
Light:
AquaKnight (HIPARGERO) gen2 A209
10% White, 20% Blue / 8 hours
Filter:
HOB Seachem Tidal35
Water:
Atlantic water (live) + DI/RO for top ups
Temp: 25C (77F)
Start Type:
Dry Natural Rock, Live Sand, Live Water
Circulation:
HOB self flow + SICCE Voyager NANO 1000
Live:
Cycling! |
Photo the video cannot cope with the light):
==========================================================================================
SETUP
I am going with self-made nano cube 8.6G (32 litres). I got the glass just one day before the lockdown.
It was something like that at the time, now after third restart is a home to group of Pseudomugils which already have a new home secured
Sure, no bamboo will go to the salt one!
So this would be a glass, then I am finishing completing or already have:
-
Seachem Tidal-35 filter (was going to pick T-55 (more media inside) but in that size tank corals would be like in a washing machine (I guess...)). This filter in that small tank should be OK on its own. Plus I need it only as a skimmer and mechanical filter, bio filtering is the rock and sand (right? tell me I got it right!)
- Light is
white (8000K) Chihiros C-series. Maybe spectrum is not ideal, but good enough for photosynthesis and I am planning adding some night light to it. If it kicks in I will purchase a marine dedicated light.
- Heater as a heater, adjustable and must be heating.
-
No wavemaker for such a tiny cube (or shall I get one?). I was looking at some and 2000litres flow for such a cube (the smallest ones) could be too much, don't you think? If I will need it I can buy it later. Filter should do enough of water movement.
- I am going to start on
dry rock and
live sand, I have 6 miles to open Atlantic, so there is my water supply
I was going to buy some more water tests, but I believe I can close the cycle without it really, just old school observing the life inside should tell if it is all good to introduce animals.
OK, so as it is still a matter of me looking for info, gathering contacts and networking for possible swaps and chat over a pint (freshwater does not drain your pocket that much, and I was into ADA and wild fish imports to Europe!).
1. I wanted to check on any hints for such a small tank.
2. When setting up the rock, what would be your best tip? Having a lot of caves? Maybe large flat areas to plant corals on them later? Shall I think about future animals already?
3. I am planning to do sand 1 inch or less at the front, 5 inches at the back (more for bacteria)
Here is my initial setup for the rock. (yes, I need to clean it gently, secure with epoxy etc.)
I was thinking about having it this way for composition and to be able to:
- plant photosynthesis corals on top left 'plateau'
- sun coral or similar to go front left bottom
- some colorful polyp type on the right (sorry I do not know the names yet - learning!)
- a fan worm at the back more to the left
Not sure of which would be easy, hard to kill and cheap for a noobie. Please share some links
Please share your thoughts! I know it is not even started but I need to plan all ahead, this hobby is not popular in Ireland as you would think knowing it is an island after all.
You can count the shops with supplies on fingers of one hand. Brexit made it also difficult to ship live stock from the UK (for sure for freshwater, marine must be even worse!).
PS. all handy tips for new starters welcomed! Links to guides are worth a fortune!
Thank you in advance!
Michael