first my cleaner shrimp went missing, now my pearly jawfish.

lennyd4

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Location
new jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up for almost 3 months now. Everything was going completely smooth up until recently. First last week my cleaner shrimp went missing, now my pearly jawfish is gone. Not sure what is going on, the only thing I added that may have disrupted the system is my lemonpeel angelfish. I test my water every saturday and its been fine. Idk what could be going on. Also my Royal Gramma basslet hassnt really eaten in a few days but is swimming around fine.
 
You have an overflow they can jump into?? I found my black ocellaris in there THREE times now my lubbocks wrasse was in there for about a month my mandarin was in there for around two weeks all i thought died in system but when chaqnging carbon on checking pump i realized they were back there
 
Nope, I have a canister filter so they can't get in that opening, too small. Also have a Bak-Pak Dual Pak protein skimmer, has 2 outtakes that shoot the water back in. Those are hte biggest things but wouldn't that flow push them right back out? and its way up high so I can' tsee either of them venturing that far out and getting away.
 
welcome to reefing, these things happen to the most seasoned reefer. they may of died and your CuC did its job so you wont find much if anything.
 
Yea that's my only guess as well. Not sure why they would die though. I'm thinking maybe this stupid Lemon Peel is stressing t hem out too much or something.
 
Have you checked your tank out at night with a red light. My friend found a ridiculously huge crab living in a piece of liverock after a bunch of his fish turned up missing, the lfs has it and can't give it away. Also, do you have any cats, if a fish jumps out and you have cats you may never see the evidence....won't explain the shrimp though.
 
No I have no cats. Also I only have 7 lbs of live rock in my tank and I would be extremely unlucky if I happened to get a crab from one of those pieces lol but if it was a crab he probably also would have nailed my diamond watchman goby too by now.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top