First reef build 55g low tech after 10 years away (long read)

Yo yo reefer 7891......Welcome!
Glad you found your way back to the salty craft that unites us here at R2R. Looks like your past experience has benefited your current endeavor. Nice looking start in the tank! Get a build thread going to post updates and share your experience.
 
r2r.jpeg
 
Yo yo reefer 7891......Welcome!
Glad you found your way back to the salty craft that unites us here at R2R. Looks like your past experience has benefited your current endeavor. Nice looking start in the tank! Get a build thread going to post updates and share your experience.
Thanks for the advice on the thread start. Did not know where the build thread is will check out.
 
So I’ve been out of hobby for 10 years. I managed to save and my an old 55 gallon, my fluval 405 canister filter, 2 300w heaters, an old octopus skimmer, 60lb of old aragonite sand, 50 lb of dead reef rock to my new house.

The petco down the street shut down and all the live rock and animals had to go. I managed to snag 60lb of their “live” rock for. Bought the Coralife Seascape and reef necessities all at a huge discount. Cycled for 2 weeks. Went back and rescued the remaining 2 ocellated, 1 large mower blenny, a diamond goby, 2 scarlet hermies, 1 Pom Pom crab, and 6 snails. All 60% off.

I spent about a month researching tech beforehand and was blown away at the available technology. After countless reefing videos I decided to use what I had, keep my water chemistry near wild levels, and upgrade as need be. I work from home and with COVID I have plenty of time for micro maintenance. 10% water change a week.

As a novice now I believe it is my duty to see how far low tech can go. It has been 2 months and other than a massive algae bloom (due to me constantly turning on the lights to watch and I’m bad at feeding corals) the tank is healthy. Corals all show their polyps and are growing. Only animal I lost was the diamond gony. (My fault thought I was saving him)

I will list my equipment, livestock, water parameters, and progression photos. I will also be receiving an order of Oceanmagic and Ecopods from Algaebarn and will update with results. I already have a thriving colony of amphipods but their algae eating ability is ridiculously slow.

Equipment: 55 gallon glass tank, fluval 405 (prefilter, de-nitrate, biomax, chempure blue, and GFO), (2)300 watt heater, octopus hang on skimmer, 2 fluval 265g pump, and a coralife seascape. (I will upgrade to sump in a year and pro lights in 6-8 months).

50lb dry rock, 60lb “petco rocks”, and 55lb sand.

Live stock: jawfish, 2 ocellar is clowns, royal gamma, ruby fairy wrasses, algae blenny, cardinal fish, neon goby, 6 snails, 2 scarlet hermits, 5 blue legged, and a ruby mithrax
week 1 with fish


B29AF477-80CD-4E67-B2B6-58EA4C89A4AF.jpeg

week 1
F44E974F-5B01-4E21-959B-ACBD3ADD8298.jpeg

Week 4

EA3ABF60-4C12-4147-A6FC-A464CCC9FDF4.jpeg

Week 8 cyano and diatom galore again my fault. Amphipods are starting at my zoa garden and working out from there.

C1CDE628-C920-48A8-8A6C-A02A398492F4.jpeg
D101D36A-4B8E-4EA5-83E1-8455585F3AAD.jpeg

Xenia doing Xenia things.
F4AD2D5E-C4B9-47DB-99A2-BA69252A3A10.jpeg
E4A2BFB2-7674-47F1-936D-BAA6414984A5.jpeg

Accidentally damaged chalice made full recovery.

372ADCDD-D56B-4977-9597-112725262151.jpeg
02DA2B2B-C66F-4731-A3D0-1DC970F26C29.jpeg
C6B1116A-7542-4E5F-B1D0-F02ECD136154.jpeg

favia and favites doing well. Eating like crazy.

C506FFDC-4550-424A-8995-57DB133F1763.jpeg
cave acan

EA3DF375-D668-4D89-8ED1-77CE4DF8B4D4.jpeg
AEC7BB52-6D6F-4A6F-8A2E-5C9945782B77.jpeg
Week 4 vs week 8 zoa rock

Side view week 8

5EA294CA-FFC6-4641-A7F5-3F8BF8900EA5.jpeg
B6BBA762-F8BF-418E-85E7-9AD941EB4AE1.jpeg
87EB6553-F1F1-4DF3-8E82-4321498136EC.jpeg
87EB6553-F1F1-4DF3-8E82-4321498136EC.jpeg
724B73C8-AA81-4D17-B314-7FAB2730D5FC.jpeg

183C353B-2F2E-4297-8E24-19F20F317A17.jpeg
FB04AE4E-6560-4A3F-8EA2-B415E52F59D0.jpeg
E7CCA728-B51C-4AE1-84B8-F1CB28F474DE.jpeg


8C40FEA3-164A-4B21-8135-2226EE5E2FBB.jpeg 90CDEF08-0C32-47CB-815F-EC120DA0C5AA.jpeg 528B4032-68FC-4781-8D5F-1A100112C05A.jpeg 5BE910EF-CCFA-48BB-BDF1-372717989B9B.jpeg 7C125E20-FDB8-45F9-A364-35CED7E4DE2F.jpeg F385A94F-E163-45C6-9F4C-18B6FBB54E65.jpeg 631D51D2-C792-4831-927C-BC4DD3095AD5.jpeg 5A4B7606-0FD2-41E8-AFEF-50A4A546BAAC.jpeg
Cool tank
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top