First saltwater tank: are these healthy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter madere
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

madere

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, brand new to saltwater. I've been keeping freshwater for 10+ years, mostly planted.

I've had my 12G saltwater tank set up for a few months (a few weeks fishless cycle, then clownfish and copepods w/ phyto dosing, now lights).

I got some macro algae and a photosynthetic gorgonian. I've been checking params and dosing phyto, everything seems ok. (It's been ~1 week w/ the algae/gorgonian)

What should I be looking for in terms of signs of health? It looks like the gorgonian has lots of open white things on it now vs. when it arrived. I assume that's a good thing? Attached a photo for someone who knows these animals better

Also, How do I know if my macros are taking well? I'm expecting them to grow, eventually, but not sure how fast I should be expecting them. I do low tech freshwater plants, so usually wait a month to compare sizes. Is that similar for macros?


Thanks for the help!

Attaching a photo of the tank.

PXL_20230215_165227165.MP.jpg
 
Looks good so far, I'm also pretty new so I can't give advice but I also set up a macroalgae tank. If you notice your macros Turing pale white, spotty, you're losing them.

The gorgonians extending their tentacles is a good thing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top