First Tank Ever - BioCube 32 Newbie Build

Unskilled Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2018
Messages
339
Reaction score
437
Location
Chesterfield, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been interested for a while and decided to finally make the commitment to start my first ever reef tank. After some research I took the plunge and purchased the BioCube 32. This seemed to be a good starting point for this hobby. I didn’t buy the BioCube stand and decided the DIY route. I will post some pics of the start of this journey soon. So excited to get things going!
 
I have been interested for a while and decided to finally make the commitment to start my first ever reef tank. After some research I took the plunge and purchased the BioCube 32. This seemed to be a good starting point for this hobby. I didn’t buy the BioCube stand and decided the DIY route. I will post some pics of the start of this journey soon. So excited to get things going!
Welcome to R2R!
 
i have one too and i love it!

EE58909D-8586-4C36-AEF2-6F22DDF5594D.jpeg
40608588-48BD-4994-AC6D-0DD4F8DC0BD2.jpeg
 
I'm excited for you! I just started a BioCube 32 myself about 3 weeks ago... I'm currently waiting for the cycle to finish. So far I'm really pleased with the tank. If I might make a suggestion, take a look at the InTank media basket for this tank. It goes in chamber #2 in the back and provides better routing for water flow through whatever filtration media you might be using. I'm also planning to get their fuge basket soon here and set up a chaeto fuge using the rest of the chamber.
 
I'm excited for you! I just started a BioCube 32 myself about 3 weeks ago... I'm currently waiting for the cycle to finish. So far I'm really pleased with the tank. If I might make a suggestion, take a look at the InTank media basket for this tank. It goes in chamber #2 in the back and provides better routing for water flow through whatever filtration media you might be using. I'm also planning to get their fuge basket soon here and set up a chaeto fuge using the rest of the chamber.
Thanks for the tip Barry! I checked into and it looks like that is a common upgrade. Appreciate you pointing me in that direction. Going to order one. What media and in what shelf are you using for your intake?
 
Thanks for the tip Barry! I checked into and it looks like that is a common upgrade. Appreciate you pointing me in that direction. Going to order one. What media and in what shelf are you using for your intake?

Right now I'm just running filter floss on the top shelf, as the tank is still cycling. Later on I will probably use it for carbon or whatever the tank seems to indicate it needs.
 
Hi and good luck. . New to the hobby myself never knew this could be so addictive but I love it.. good luck lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here.
 
Do I need to have a heater going right away when I fill tank or just before I add live sand and have ph and salinity correct?
 
Ph is 8.3 and salinity is 1.023. Next up adding the sand. I went with 20lbs of the Arag-alive figi pink. Will the sand be enough to start the initial cycle or do you think I will need to add an ammonia source?

Was thinking about the 150w EHEIM Jager for a heater. What’s people’s opinion on this?

And yes I am still working on the cabinet door, lol.

D961AB2A-7D0E-4B04-91C6-B8E21A7D7074.jpeg
16FD396B-FA7B-482A-8AFE-9E61B7029822.jpeg
 
Looks great so far! Ours has been going for about a year now, nice tanks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top