First time Saltwater build, seeking help and advice on everything

First of all...Welcome to R2R! Great family of aquarists here to offer you valuable advice, help and guidance to make you chances of success in this wonderful and rewarding hobby greater.
First off, make sure that where you place this aquarium is able to handle the shear weight of the equipment, water, aragonite, live rock etc.
You definitely have an uphill climb with regards to researching, selecting and buying all the components for setting your aquarium up and running. Then, decisions need to be made as to what you would like to stock your tank with? How many? Coral placement? Fish, coral and invert compatibility issues. Then you have water parameter, maintenance, husbandry and feeding matters to be aware of.
Their is obviously more to being successful in the marine hobby, but these key areas will help you as well as what others have chimed in on.
I don’t say this to scare you...but to help you to be successful and enjoy this awesome and rewarding hobby and have healthy and happy livestock.
Make sure to read, ask questions, research and don’t cut corners or do things too abruptly...go slow, think things through and the you will be amazed at what transpires before your eyes with a little piece of a coral reef in your own home.
GOOD LUCK!

Thank you I appreciate it!! And it will be on a tile floor with a concrete slab but I hear yah theres so much and thats why I'm coming to yall :)
 
I have the Hanna calcium one but I don't like it. I like the other 2 I have because of their ease of testing. The calcium one is just a little more involved. No ideas on any other Hanna testers though.
 
Here's what I use
Hanna checker for dkH and ULR Phosphorus
RedSea for pH, Calcium and Mag
NYOS for Nitrate
And get yourself a decent refractometer too.

What style refractometer due you use or recommend?
 
Last edited:
Advice on sump size would it be better to take up my whole stand with a 48" bashea smart series with ato resevior or do the 36" bashea and ato resevior with room on the side of the stand for any reactors I may run or just equipment and controllers?
 
I like the 2nd option for the reasons you listed. My waterbox 135.4 sump is only 30" long. Just food for thought.....
 
Dry rock from either reefcleaners, marco or billys reef connection

I can't say enough positive things about reefcleaners. The rock is exceptional. It's pourous, has a lot of bigger holes and won't leach anything into your water. On top of that, Jeff is excellent to deal with!
 
What did you use for a QT setup? And that makes sense!

I got 20 gallon long QT for my fish and a Seachem Tidal 75 hang on back filter.

For the corals, same set up but with a Radion XR15 over it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top