Fish coated in sand+air and dying

oceaninabox12345

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
307
Reaction score
334
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 fish and added them to my 120g tank about a week ago.
The fish i got were:powder blue, orange shoulder tang, longhorn cowfish, and diamond goby. First day, everyone ate and was happy. Second day, the water was a little cloudy but everyone ate and was still happy. Third day, i only saw the powder blue darting behind the rock, and the orange shoulder was covered in dust which he was trying to scrape off. My tank looked like a milkshake. My longhorn cowfish which ate from my hand day 2, was covered in sand and some air bubbles. Day 7, the only fish that looks ok is the goby that has stirred up so much sand that its killing all my fish. The cowfish wont eat, i cant find the orange shoulder, and the powder blue i just found dead. Yes, i know its him causing the tank to look like this. Hes completely moved all my sand, collapsed rockwork, and THE ONLY FISH that looks ok. Please help me with any suggestions. Should i move my cowfish to my other 120g?
20190527_120744.jpeg
20190527_120732.jpeg
20190527_120755.jpeg
 
Just based on reading a few other threads, this looks/sounds more like a disease to me than a goby kicking up sand. I'm pretty confident saying a goby's antics doesn't kill fish by throwing sand.

I wouldn't put anything at all from this tank into any other tank whatsoever.
 
Just based on reading a few other threads, this looks/sounds more like a disease to me than a goby kicking up sand. I'm pretty confident saying a goby's antics doesn't kill fish by throwing sand.

I wouldn't put anything at all from this tank into any other tank whatsoever.
Alright. What makes me say sand is that all the fish were perfectly ok, until the goby made the entire tank a cloud. He still has not stopped blowing sand in the tank. And he is the only fish thats healthy. If you think its a disease, which one would you say it is, and whats my best course of action?
 
Definitely not sand, that powder blue looks horrible. You appear to have a severe case of velvet or maybe brook. They need to be transferred to a quarantine tank and treated immediately.
 
Definitely not sand, that powder blue looks horrible. You appear to have a severe case of velvet or maybe brook. They need to be transferred to a quarantine tank and treated immediately.
Alright will do. Do you have any threads youd recommend i look at on how to treat velvet/and/or brook?
 
That’s velvet 100%. All fish need to be removed and treated in copper. The tank needs to be run fallow for 76 days.

Those fish have had velvet for quite a while. :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

I’d remove fish and freshwater dip, then dip them in ruby reef rally/acriflavine as soon as possible prior to adding them to quarantine.

The cow fish will need Chloroquine Phosphate, if you can source it. To be honest if you can’t find it immediately I’d risk copper because that fish’s chances are cut in half every hour or so.
 
That’s velvet 100%. All fish need to be removed and treated in copper. The tank needs to be run fallow for 76 days.

Those fish have had velvet for quite a while. :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

I’d remove fish and freshwater dip, then dip them in ruby reef rally/acriflavine as soon as possible prior to adding them to quarantine.

The cow fish will need Chloroquine Phosphate, if you can source it. To be honest if you can’t find it immediately I’d risk copper because that fish’s chances are cut in half every hour or so.
So now the two original fish i have, my clownfish, also have it too. Alright ill go get a quarantine. Ive never used copper before, so any suggestions are appreciated. I feel like an idiot
 
So now the two original fish i have, my clownfish, also have it too. Alright ill go get a quarantine. Ive never used copper before, so any suggestions are appreciated. I feel like an idiot
No worries. We've all been there. A bottle of copper power and a hannah cooper checker are (imo) the best way and have worked for me per @4FordFamily and @HotRocks recommendation. Also make sure to get an ammonia alert badge. It's the only way to accurately measure ammonia with copper in the system
 
No worries. We've all been there. A bottle of copper power and a hannah cooper checker are (imo) the best way and have worked for me per @4FordFamily and @HotRocks recommendation. Also make sure to get an ammonia alert badge. It's the only way to accurately measure ammonia with copper in the system
I don't have any of those things and im 150 miles away from the closest lfs. The only thing near me is petco and petsmart and they dont seem to carry much for diseases
 
And if you have Amazon prime most things are now delivered in 1 day. But the odds of any of those fish surviving is very low, even the goby. I'm not saying give up, but I'm definitely trying to manage your expectations.

Velvet kills very fast. Typically by the time you see physical symptoms it's 50/50 at best if you treat them immediately. With Brook, by the time you see physical symptoms it's almost guaranteed too late.
 
Last edited:
@Rakie @crab McJones its memorial day and I live in Montana where they have never done 1 day deliveries so i think im stuck with petsmart or Petco
 
If you run cupramine heres the recommended level
Cupramine (0.5 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
Thank you so much (this goes for everyone!)for your help. I unfortunately cannot find the goby, but the clowns, cowfish, and orange shoulder tang have been freshwater dipped, and are now in a very small 5.5g qt. After i got them set up, i ran to Petco, bought a 20g long, and a 10g for future use. They had no medicine, just water "conditioners". The tang is near death, but the other three are doing remarkably well. Aware of surroundings, and not super fast(or slow) breathing.
 
Thank you so much (this goes for everyone!)for your help. I unfortunately cannot find the goby, but the clowns, cowfish, and orange shoulder tang have been freshwater dipped, and are now in a very small 5.5g qt. After i got them set up, i ran to Petco, bought a 20g long, and a 10g for future use. They had no medicine, just water "conditioners". The tang is near death, but the other three are doing remarkably well. Aware of surroundings, and not super fast(or slow) breathing.
Wow... rough being so far from a LFS in an emergency! You'll need to get the water up to the therapeutic levels of cupramine very fast by the look of those fish. API copper test isn't accurate for Cupramine (ionic copper)...its more accurate for chelated copper. I'd just dose the water up to by the recommendations on the cupramine bottle since you don't have a test kit...then quickly order one for ionic copper on Amazon to have there in a couple of days and then adjust accordingly. Good luck!
 
Update: the orange shoulder died about 15 minutes after putting him in QT. The other fish are still doing well!
 
Too small of a tank for those both of the tangs...
 
That’s velvet 100%. All fish need to be removed and treated in copper. The tank needs to be run fallow for 76 days.

Those fish have had velvet for quite a while. :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

I’d remove fish and freshwater dip, then dip them in ruby reef rally/acriflavine as soon as possible prior to adding them to quarantine.

The cow fish will need Chloroquine Phosphate, if you can source it. To be honest if you can’t find it immediately I’d risk copper because that fish’s chances are cut in half every hour or so.

I was about to say the same thing. No doubt Velvet 100%.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top