Fish ID- “rescue fish”

Gator2019

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
105
Reaction score
37
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I local store was breaking down their tank and gave me their fish. I was able to ID everything else except for this one. I just wanted to make sure it won’t be very aggressive because I noticed after a day that my Tomini tang was nipped and my 1” clowns were acting defensive. The others added at the same time were a pink skunk, and 4 fully grown cardinals. Only mentioning this because if the one I can’t ID isn’t the one nipping, I’m Curious what could have nipped.

050C0965-D1B9-4B07-BDDF-7FAC1444A031.jpeg


FDDEA8E5-35F6-4941-A414-E7A591E73437.jpeg
 
Neon Dottyback. Aggressive;) Pink Skunks are pretty aggressive as well.
I thought it could be a dottyback, but wasn’t sure what species. Are they aggressive enough that I should remove them or are they only agressive to those of their own species (both the skunk and the dottyback)?
 
Pseudochromis aldabraensis:

Semi aggressive by DB standards from my experience. My current Neon is pretty well behaved even with his Fridmani friends
 
Pseudochromis aldabraensis:

Semi aggressive by DB standards from my experience. My current Neon is pretty well behaved even with his Fridmani friends
Do you think the DB will show aggression towards the clowns since they are smaller than the DB? If so I have a predator tank I can take him to. I’m really surprised the tang got nipped because usually he is the top dog.
 
Both the Dottyback and Skunk can be a problem with anything other than aggressive tank mates. There are always exceptions but not the rule IME.
 
Both the Dottyback and Skunk can be a problem with anything other than aggressive tank mates. There are always exceptions but not the rule IME.
In that case I will keep a very close eye on it and possibly take them to the predator tank if they get too agressive. Thank you very much.
 
In that case I will keep a very close eye on it and possibly take them to the predator tank if they get too agressive. Thank you very much.
Good plan. Very glad to help!!
 
The top pic looks more like ORA's black neon but the bottom pic like a normal Arabian dotty.

images


If it's the ora fish then they are a hybrid of Arabian X springers which makes them slightly better tempered.

I've bred Arabians and would only consider them in a slightly more aggressive type tank. They arent really a mild community suited species.

You also mention a skunk clown and your 1" clowns. If they are different species it's not wise to mix them as you will likely see at least one killed off depending on what they are.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top