Fish kept dying? Unsure what's happening.

What salinity is the bag water of the fish?

Ideally 0.002 a day. When brought up too fast, they dehydrate.
My LFS keeps their water a 1.021 to help with parasites. I bring it up to 1.025 over the period of 2 hours and they always do fine
 
My LFS keeps their water a 1.021 to help with parasites. I bring it up to 1.025 over the period of 2 hours and they always do fine

2 to 3 hours is fine for most fish from 1.020ish. Any shipped fish should be put in new clean matching water and then dropped up.

I would avoid going any faster though. Fish can certainly survive even a plop from 1.020 to 1.025 but if a fish is already compromised in some other way, we are just adding stress to their bodies.
 
How is the aquarium oxygenated? Do you have a protein skimmer? Any powerheads aimed at the surface of the water to break the surface tension?
 
1.020 to 1.025 in 90 min would be too fast.

Chromis actually have pretty high mortality rates regardless.

What type of clown is it? I doubt it is the clown in that size tank unless you have a adult mean maroon or something. Even then, you can usually see injuries on the fishes body.

How long should .020 to .025 take? I think you're actually on to something here.

The clown is just your standard Percula, nothing fancy. It has been with me for going on something like 7 years. I've never seen aggression towards anything from it.
 
How is the aquarium oxygenated? Do you have a protein skimmer? Any powerheads aimed at the surface of the water to break the surface tension?
Aquamaxx DC skimmer, MP40's break the surface, as does the return nozzles.
 
Aquamaxx DC skimmer, MP40's break the surface, as does the return nozzles.
Did you check the gills of the dead fish? Did you throw one in a cup of tap water to see if anything jumps off? Buy a cheap fish, float and drop it is. If you have a disease you'll know in a week. Other wise you have NO idea what your fighting and everyone here is speculating1
 
How long should .020 to .025 take? I think you're actually on to something here.

The clown is just your standard Percula, nothing fancy. It has been with me for going on something like 7 years. I've never seen aggression towards anything from it.

I generally do several hours. Keep fish in a quiet area/dim lighting and an air stone if possible. I generally put them into a small bucket/container and put something over it so they can’t jump out. Usually a small spare mesh lid I have

You can just take airline and tie a knot or two to slow it to a drip.

You can even add a small plastic fake decoration for them to hide in while they wait.

Grammas should be pretty hardy in general but chromis actually don’t have great survival rates. They can suffer from urenoma which you can never remove from your tank so it’s the one fish I won’t add to my tank. They just are not very cheap to buy anymore for all the problems they can potentially have. They come in to my LFS and some of them definitely have marks and look ill right out of the bag from the wholesaler.

I doubt the perc is an issue in your size tank.

You can also ask the LFS to feed the fish. If It won’t eat then that is a red flag. Either very stressed or potentially sick.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top