fish only use right half of tank

why are my fish only using half my tank fish are:
purple tang
powder blue tang
yellow wrasse
midas blenny
lemon peel angel
banded pipefish (only fish that uses the full tank)

Tank is 4ft 90 gallon

Dont wanna hear about need bigger tank for powder blue a 2 foot tank would be fine for this 1 as it stays on the right side of the tank
Is your overflow box on the side of the tank? If so It could be sign that your tank might be to cold and they are closer to the side of the tank which is the warmest. Make sure your aquascape also encourages swimming throughout the tank. Give them lots of places to hide and feel safe wherever they are in the tank.
 
Have you tested the water from both sides of the tank? Any differences? :rolleyes:
i have not but i should not think it would be any different as the return pump and powerheads are pumping water tho thee tank
Is your overflow box on the side of the tank? If so It could be sign that your tank might be to cold and they are closer to the side of the tank which is the warmest. Make sure your aquascape also encourages swimming throughout the tank. Give them lots of places to hide and feel safe wherever they are in the tank.
its in the middle
 
Have you tested the water from both sides of the tank? Any differences?

i have not but i should not think it would be any different as the return pump and powerheads are pumping water tho thee tank
I think he got ya there :)

I feed on the right... I also use a pen to write my testing on the glass in the same area.. if I forget to wipe it off they go to it looking to see if it is food.

Try feeding from the other side for a bit and see if that changes anything.
 
My fish favor the left side partially I think because it gets less flow. Another thing I've found is that fish tend to stake a home wherever they are initially added. So I just put a royal Gramma in the less used right side of tank and that's his home sure enough.
Thats what I was thinking too, I was wondering if it was just me or is there a correlation between where they are released and where they stay? I don't know if its coincidence but my fish live in the same area where I released them, which is what I was hoping at the time.
 
the side they are on has a mp40 the side they dont go has a mp10 (it fell down yesterday need to put it back up)

Thats my exact set up, the side opposite the MP10 gets less flow off course and they seem to favor it.
 
Thats what I was thinking too, I was wondering if it was just me or is there a correlation between where they are released and where they stay? I don't know if its coincidence but my fish live in the same area where I released them, which is what I was hoping at the time.
Yes I think there are obvious factors like the fish type and tank size. I have two small gobies that hid for first several days but now enjoying perching all around the tank. YT roams whole tank but sleeps on side it was released, clownfish sleep in their flowerpot, royal gramma sleeps on the left side of the tank where it was released. Court Jester goby slept near where it was released (rip).

My Seale Cardinals that are supposed to shoal get along okay during the day but play tag the whole time the moonlight is on and then sleep in opposite corners lol.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top