Fish that hide in Qt and dont eat

roggy23

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
529
Reaction score
115
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you do when you get a new fish in qt alone and just hides in fear most of the time and won't eat? I feel like these fish are doomed from the start.
 
What do you do when you get a new fish in qt alone and just hides in fear most of the time and won't eat? I feel like these fish are doomed from the start.
a- keep lights low
b- step back so its not terrified or intimidated
c- attempt light feeding
 
What do you do when you get a new fish in qt alone and just hides in fear most of the time and won't eat? I feel like these fish are doomed from the start.

What species?

Normally, a fish’s feeding response should overcome shyness (unless you’re too close to the tank).
Other reasons can be wrong food, cyanide collection, disease or water quality issues.

Jay
 
What species?

Normally, a fish’s feeding response should overcome shyness (unless you’re too close to the tank).
Other reasons can be wrong food, cyanide collection, disease or water quality issues.

Jay
Was a gold head goby
 
Did you have a bowl of non-calcareous sand in the QT for the goby to burrow in?

I often tape some dark paper, e.g. grocery store brown bag, over one of the front corners of the QT so the new fish can avoid spectators or flashes of light without having to find an object in the tank for cover.

Food can be a challenge for some new fish for sure. Variety helps until you find something he'll eat.
 
Was a gold head goby
Those are tough fish to quarantine, and are pretty delicate overall. As said, they need some substrate to feel comfortable, but they are also prone to bacterial diseases and are suspected of being caught with cyanide in some locations.

Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top