Flow for a 300g peninsula SPS dominate tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Llemonz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Llemonz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2012
Messages
203
Reaction score
60
Location
Baltimore, Md
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, looking for advice on how to provide flow to a 300g peninsula tank.

I have a 300g 72x36x27" tank that I am looking to set up as a peninsula at the end of June. I am in the planning stage now and looking for input on how to get adequate flow. I am planning for the proper flow for the tank a year+ from when the tank is established, after the coral starts to fill in.

I am only looking to do between 1500-3000gph through the sump (5-10x tank volume turnover), so the return pump will make up a limited amount of the flow.

Currently I have 2 gyre xf 250's and 6 mp40's to work with. I have no opposition to selling them and getting other pumps to provide circulation if there is a better option.

Any and all input is appreciated!
 
Hey guys, looking for advice on how to provide flow to a 300g peninsula tank.

I have a 300g 72x36x27" tank that I am looking to set up as a peninsula at the end of June. I am in the planning stage now and looking for input on how to get adequate flow. I am planning for the proper flow for the tank a year+ from when the tank is established, after the coral starts to fill in.

I am only looking to do between 1500-3000gph through the sump (5-10x tank volume turnover), so the return pump will make up a limited amount of the flow.

Currently I have 2 gyre xf 250's and 6 mp40's to work with. I have no opposition to selling them and getting other pumps to provide circulation if there is a better option.

Any and all input is appreciated!
I daydream about doing a tank like this some day (not sure the wife will ever let me) and flow is the biggest problem to solve imo.

The best idea I have come up with is to do a combination of 2 gyres side by side on the overflow end and a closed loop that draws a suction on the overflow side and discharges on the open side.

I would set them up on a controller so the 2 gyres were in sync with each other, and they would be opposite of the closed loop. In this way you could set up alternating gyre flows without any pumps on the open side. It would take some creativity to hide the return pipes in the rock work on the open side.

How well would it work? No idea.
 
I was considering a closed loop as well. Currently, there are 2 1” holes in the bottom of both sides, but was starting to think it would be too difficult to hide the returns on the exposed side. Another concern for putting the returns on the far end, would be having exposed pipes that are visible, opposite the overflow wall.

Man hard to explain without visuals lol

Maybe could do 2 gyres vertically on the overflow side. And 2 gyres horizontally at the top of the far side, since their footprint is somewhat minimal and isn’t too much of an eye sore if placed high
 
So, two gyres vertical on one end and two horizontal near the top on the exposed end?

Anyone think there’s a better way to provide flow?

And keeping in mind planning for adequate flow a year+ when corals are filling in
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top