Flow for my 8 Foot Baby

Studjunior

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
112
Reaction score
53
Location
Toronto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a sense of weather I have enough flow in my new 8*2*2 tank for keeping SPS dominated tank or not.

Currently, I have 2 MP 40's on the far end of the tank and the return from the basement is split to each end of the tank. The return lines have LOC line with random flow generating nozzles at the end. The return pump up the the basement is a Lifeguard Aquatics Sea Horse which pumps out 4560-GPH. There is not a lot of space on the overflow side of the tank as that's were the plumbing is running down to the basement fish room (picture attached). I'm also adding a picture of the tank so you can get a sense of things and the rock work.

The question now........

I'm pretty sure I do not have enough flow on the overflow side of the tank. Given the space limitation does it make sense to add a XF250 gyre to that side of the tank??

As well, the 2 MP40's are both placed around the mid point of the tank as I was trying to get more flow directed to the rock work. Does this make sense???

Thanks!!!

lighting.jpg


Pump.jpg


side panel.jpg
 
I would agree a Gyre would be the best option for a large amount of laminar flow. I would think 2 MP 40s would be no where near enough flow.

A tank this large would have been a good use for a closed loop, but now that it is filled, that is not really an option. Of course, you could always add more MP 40s (or better yet, MP60s) to the tank, allowing you to better "aim" the flow where you want it.
 
Interesting, why do you suggest that?

It is a way to move a lot of flow, without crowding the tank with pumps and motors. I see them used frequently in 8 foot or longer tanks. By having one or two drains, going to a seperate pump to powere multiple jets, you can bring water in and out through the bottom (usually covered by rockwork) and then create flow in multiple directions, all without excess equipment/wires/fans in the tank. Everything is controlled in the fishroom.
 
It is a way to move a lot of flow, without crowding the tank with pumps and motors. I see them used frequently in 8 foot or longer tanks. By having one or two drains, going to a seperate pump to powere multiple jets, you can bring water in and out through the bottom (usually covered by rockwork) and then create flow in multiple directions, all without excess equipment/wires/fans in the tank. Everything is controlled in the fishroom.
After 36 years in the hobby, I am fully aware of how a closed loop works, my question is why you say Quote " but now that it is filled, that is not really an option" ?
 
After 36 years in the hobby, I am fully aware of how a closed loop works, my question is why you say Quote " but now that it is filled, that is not really an option" ?

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I have far less time in the hobby than you, but I would think that to add a closed loop to your current system would require drilling the bottom of the tank, and installing multiple bulkheads. That would mean draining the tank, and keeping all livestock and rock alive. Not sure how long it would take to complete that task, but it sounds like a very difficult task to complete compared to just adding more water movement devices to your tank.

I have a 6 foot tank and run a single Gyre for flow on it (it is an LPS dominated mixed reef so far) but as I begin to move into SPS, I am strongly thinking of a second one.
 
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I have far less time in the hobby than you, but I would think that to add a closed loop to your current system would require drilling the bottom of the tank, and installing multiple bulkheads. That would mean draining the tank, and keeping all livestock and rock alive. Not sure how long it would take to complete that task, but it sounds like a very difficult task to complete compared to just adding more water movement devices to your tank.

I have a 6 foot tank and run a single Gyre for flow on it (it is an LPS dominated mixed reef so far) but as I begin to move into SPS, I am strongly thinking of a second one.

No need to drill the tank with a closed loop system, I admit it might be preferable but a hockey stick type up and over out and return will work well
 
Following, Nice looking tank!

I have a 300 but I see medium size sand on the bottom and I would worry about sand storm's
if you go with any more mp-40's, a couple Gyre's on the top might be the way to go.

I have a bare bottom and run 36k of flow thru it an hour but only have Acro's.
 
No need to drill the tank with a closed loop system, I admit it might be preferable but a hockey stick type up and over out and return will work well

Great point. I've never seen one done like that. I have always considered the lack of visible plumbing and "equipment" to be the major upside of a closed loop (although I have never run one).

It is definitely I nice looking tank. I love wide-open rockscapes!
 
Great point. I've never seen one done like that. I have always considered the lack of visible plumbing and "equipment" to be the major upside of a closed loop (although I have never run one).

It is definitely I nice looking tank. I love wide-open rockscapes!
Just one example of a couple of closed loops, there are of course various configurations without the need to drill the tank. Large tanks, in particular, are very accommodating of a closed loop system.
Pic below is of a smaller closed system using what looks like Maxijet pumps. I have seen much larger pumps used usually situated below the tank
closed loop.jpg
 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... given that this tank is a wall diver and built into a wall unit with under cabinets that are functional, doing a proper closed loop was not an option.
 
It is definitely I nice looking tank. I love wide-open rockscapes!
Thank you!!! I like keeping a very open rockscape to allow for the most possible swimming room for my fish, especially tangs which swim long distances in the ocean.
 
I have a 8’x2’x2 recently setup less than a year
I have 2 gyre XF250 only and it has good flow for a sps tank
 
See how I have placed it vertically on the side walls, one back and other front
Great flow

72140c80a47a496ca088a4b790e7ddfe.jpg


889ea8e83b8e6387a60dcacb8bada741.jpg

Very interesting... as I already have 2 MP 40s I’m going to play around with placement at the beginning to see where I get the best results.
 
I had 2 40s on a 8" on the long end. Switching to 1 mp60. Did way more than the two. Just the shear suction of the one mp60 vs the 40's which gave up a bout a 1/3 the way down. The 60 makes it a good 2/3 across the 8' span.
 
Panta rhei pumps are the only way to go IMO. Expensive but they move water much more efficiently than anything else on the market. If money wasn't an option I'd stick two ECM 63's in there and be done with it. But that's some serious money. Though that tank would be rip roaring with current. My SPS/corals love my ECM 42's
IMG_6201.JPG
 
Panta rhei pumps are the only way to go IMO. Expensive but they move water much more efficiently than anything else on the market. If money wasn't an option I'd stick two ECM 63's in there and be done with it. But that's some serious money. Though that tank would be rip roaring with current. My SPS/corals love my ECM 42's
IMG_6201.JPG

What's the dimensions of your tank?

How long have you had the Panta Rhei s ? I'm tempted on a couple of the ECM 42 Pros with the black housings but dang that is going to set me back.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top