Flow suggestions for 8’ peninsula tank?

Jamie7907

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
371
Reaction score
375
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m building a 560 Gallon peninsula and I’m looking for flow suggestions. The tank will be fed with two L1 vectras. The dimensions are 8’ x 4’ x 32”. I have 4 mp60qds but I don’t have a lot of confidence that they can push 8’. I’m curious about people who may have used Tunze on larger tanks or what others have done. I don’t want any exposed piwerheads on viewing panes if at all possible.

Thanks
 
I have a 60" x 30" peninsula. After trying many different options, gyre, several varieties and placement of powerheads, I ended up with a Rossmont 'Mover' on the visible end of the tank. There was simply no way to achieve the flow I wanted without putting some sort of powerhead on the far end.

One thing that I had a fairly major problem with: Top flow moving constantly away from the overflows caused an 'oil slick' appearance on the tank's surface. Even with a good amount of surface agitation, it was not preventing surface tension from building up a sheen. Once I started pushing surface water back towards the overflows, problem solved.

Best of luck.
 
I saw a thread on here a while back where they concealed pvc inside of rock work through the middle of the tank and ran it on a separate pump to push water out on the far end. Depending your plans for scaping it, you may be able to do something similar and divide the flow to areas through any needed adapters.
 
I'm sweating up an 8' peninsula. I don't see a way around powerheads on the viewing pane unless you do a closed loop system. I'm biting the bullet and putting MP's on the small viewing pane
 
Here's an end view of mine. I superglued anchors to the end of the glass panel, and used small zip ties to keep the cord tied down. Drilled through the shelf and set in a cord grommet. Best I could do.
EndView.jpg

Endview.jpg
 
Here's an end view of mine. I superglued anchors to the end of the glass panel, and used small zip ties to keep the cord tied down. Drilled through the shelf and set in a cord grommet. Best I could do.
EndView.jpg

Endview.jpg

How is the Rossmont holding up?
 
How is the Rossmont holding up?
So far so good.

I've got two, the one pictured, and another just like it on the opposite end.

A year in service now. I've cleaned them twice now, by putting the whole unit in a gallon bucket of RO and vinegar and running it for a few hours. A toothbrush to knock off the loose deposits, they look like new again. Since the cords are fairly securely mounted, I just put a bucket near the tank, and am able to clean without disturbing the cord mounts.

I never bought the Rossmont controller. These are plugged into my Apex. 5 min on, 3 min off. Gives me some nice random eddies, with an overall circular flow pattern. You can hear them kick on and off, if you're listening, but honestly, they're very quiet.

For the price, I'd say they were a real bargain.
 
Turbella Stream Rocks at the far end of the tank, its working pretty good. Only issue is finding them I have 1 IM currently using in a Reefer 650P with a Tunze 6105.
IMG_3967.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top