Flower nem with sand in its mouth

Steve Maxwell

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
535
Reaction score
239
Location
Pearland, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird question...my flower nem has settled on the bottom of my tank in the sandbed. Lately everytime I look it has sand in its mouth. I use a turkey baster to blow out the sand but next time I look again there's more back. I'm not sure if it is doing it itself or if something else is. Is thus normal flower nem behavior?
 
I have one that sometimes gets sand on its oral disk - but only because some of my fish like to "flash" on the sand by the anemone!

I don't think yours is doing it by itself . . .

~Bruce
 
Weird question...my flower nem has settled on the bottom of my tank in the sandbed. Lately everytime I look it has sand in its mouth. I use a turkey baster to blow out the sand but next time I look again there's more back. I'm not sure if it is doing it itself or if something else is. Is thus normal flower nem behavior?
Same thing happens to me. I happens when the nem buries itself at night and when it comes back up sand gets on it's oral disk. Maybe when you spray the turkey baster on it it gets scared and buries itself and when it comes back up the same thing happens.
Is it in the sand bed?
 
Same thing happens to me. I happens when the nem buries itself at night and when it comes back up sand gets on it's oral disk. Maybe when you spray the turkey baster on it it gets scared and buries itself and when it comes back up the same thing happens.
Is it in the sand bed?

Yeah its in the sand bed. I can get it cleared out, but I guess if he is burying itself that might be what happens. If I squirt some mysis at it will it be able to take the mysis and expel the sand?
 
Yeah its in the sand bed. I can get it cleared out, but I guess if he is burying itself that might be what happens. If I squirt some mysis at it will it be able to take the mysis and expel the sand?
You can try that. They LOVE mysis or any type of food.
You big is the nem? Do you have any pictures?
 
It's pretty small. I'll try to get a picture after work tomorrow. I'm just afraid it will ingest the sand
Well, if you are afraid of that than don't do it. If you have a gut feeling about something bad happening to it, listen to your gut :)
Just clean it off with the turkey baster and watch it for a good 30 minutes or more and see it's reaction. It might have something to do with the current and if that is it you might want to move it if the sand really bothers you
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top