Fluval 307 or Marineland 360 - For 75g

Do the HOB tend to be loud? I know this is a petty concern but its something I think about since the tank is in a highly used and open area of the house (dining/family room/kitchen)
the machine itself is not loud. It depends how high your water lever will, if its low, then you get the sound of waterfall all day, if the water level is higher, then you dont hear it at all.
 
Ihttps://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/marineland-magniflow-360-canister-filter-2503681?cm_mmc=PSH%7cGGL%7cCAL%7cSBU05%7cSH14%7c0%7ck5YkwaXJAT8j3ExfMwJMCF%7c58700007475444373%7cPRODUCT_GROUP%7c0%7c0%7cpla-1649123237992%7c128269736559%7c15089577581&gclid=CjwKCAjwnZaVBhA6EiwAVVyv9AlZHf0Q4ROlMM5OiVM64IHrSUSq3QdH1E74l3z9MhSJw65ZoWZSuBoC2ScQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
What are you trying to tell me?
 
If you type complaint about anything all kinds of pages pop up. The fluval 407 and fx4 I love both never had an issue.
With hob the salt creep is higher. I prefer canisters over hob. I've used both. Currently I have the fluval clear on my bosses tank and I don't like it. I have a tidel hob and it's better but still don't like it. The tidel is replacing my bosses fluval aqua clear.
If you are looking at a hob the tidel by seachem is what I would recommend. It filters the surface water and flow can be controlled.
 
I like Fluval, been using it for years with very little complaints. Here is a sample of some customer reviews.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 08-50-23 Amazon.com Customer reviews Fluval FX6 High Performance Aqua...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 08-50-23 Amazon.com Customer reviews Fluval FX6 High Performance Aqua...png
    40.1 KB · Views: 53
Petco is selling at the same price as Amazon. You won't have to wait for shipping
I think that is their online price, if you go to the store the price is higher. I have experienced this myself. But after checking in you order online and pick up in store you can same more.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 08-54-43 Marineland Magniflow 360 gph Canister Filter Petco.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 08-54-43 Marineland Magniflow 360 gph Canister Filter Petco.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
Get a Seachem Tidal HOB. The biggest one they make. The surface agitation and water movement they provide is a good thing. Also, HOB are easier to clean, so you’ll do it more often. If you do decide to go with canister, the #1 deciding factor should be ease of cleaning, because you need to do it weekly.
 
Get a Seachem Tidal HOB. The biggest one they make. The surface agitation and water movement they provide is a good thing. Also, HOB are easier to clean, so you’ll do it more often. If you do decide to go with canister, the #1 deciding factor should be ease of cleaning, because you need to do it weekly.

I didn't know they were so cheap. Kind of amazed that a HOB would perform better than a canister though.

Are there any other recommndations for HOB?

*Sorry for pulling this thread in different directions.

1655051898096.png
 
I didn't know they were so cheap. Kind of amazed that a HOB would perform better than a canister though.

Are there any other recommndations for HOB?

*Sorry for pulling this thread in different directions.

1655051898096.png
There’s nothing inherently wrong with a canister filter, I ran one one my first reef tank. I also had high nutrients though. They’re not conducive to running low nutrient, SPS-friendly systems, because the waste they trap to be removed is still in the water system until you clean the mechanical filter media. In contrast, a skimmer holds the waste outside of the system until you empty the skimmate collection cup. So you have to be extremely diligent about cleaning any canister or HOB filter in a reef system, pretty much weekly, or your nutrients levels will be out of control. Which is why the biggest factor to consider when planning a canister or HOB system should be the time it takes to break it down and completely clean it, and most HOB filters are much faster to clean.
 
I didn't know they were so cheap. Kind of amazed that a HOB would perform better than a canister though.

Are there any other recommndations for HOB?

*Sorry for pulling this thread in different directions.

1655051898096.png
After thinking about it and realizing a canister filter will require more frequent cleaning on a salt water tank I think you should go with 2 of these. I always go twice as much as needed.
 
I didn't know they were so cheap. Kind of amazed that a HOB would perform better than a canister though.

Are there any other recommndations for HOB?

*Sorry for pulling this thread in different directions.

1655051898096.png
That is a good deal. Here is one from another site which is higher price.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 14-35-09 Seachem Tidal 75 Power Filter - 75 Gal.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 14-35-09 Seachem Tidal 75 Power Filter - 75 Gal.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 39
I think that is their online price, if you go to the store the price is higher. I have experienced this myself. But after checking in you order online and pick up in store you can same more.
They price match online pirce in thier stores
 
I
There’s nothing inherently wrong with a canister filter, I ran one one my first reef tank. I also had high nutrients though. They’re not conducive to running low nutrient, SPS-friendly systems, because the waste they trap to be removed is still in the water system until you clean the mechanical filter media. In contrast, a skimmer holds the waste outside of the system until you empty the skimmate collection cup. So you have to be extremely diligent about cleaning any canister or HOB filter in a reef system, pretty much weekly, or your nutrients levels will be out of control. Which is why the biggest factor to consider when planning a canister or HOB system should be the time it takes to break it down and completely clean it, and most HOB filters are much faster to clean.
Clean mine monthly and run sps. I refer back to my pic. I even was growing acro. When my buddys acro tank crashed I gave back the acro frags he gave me.

Growing purple digi, green digi and a forrest fire.
 
I used a fluval 304.model I think it was on my very 1st tank. Yes they are great. Clean em when u do a wc and rinse everything good in the old sw.
Hang on back filters are just easier to get in and out of.
D
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top