For the people that do local pick up when selling corals.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
14
Location
South Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but I have never sold anything on r2r yet and I do not want to ship yet. Do you guys have the buyer come to your house and pick up the coral or do you meet in a near by location?
 
Do yourself a favor, meet them somewhere. If you plan to list on craigslist or anything like that you will find there are some odd individuals lurking those posts. Having strangers in your home is a bad idea on my opinion..
 
Do yourself a favor, meet them somewhere. If you plan to list on craigslist or anything like that you will find there are some odd individuals lurking those posts. Having strangers in your home is a bad idea on my opinion..
Yeah haha I was thinking of craigslist and exactly what you just mentioned. Never hurts to be precautionary!
 
I have done both. The only good part about having them over is a make better sales because they see things I haven't gotten to fragging yet but don't mind fragging and it ups my sales. But I have ran into some odd folk but also met a few cool ones as well
 
I have done both. The only good part about having them over is a make better sales because they see things I haven't gotten to fragging yet but don't mind fragging and it ups my sales. But I have ran into some odd folk but also met a few cool ones as well
Well im not really into fragging yet but I could definitely see how that might help you out! Yeah I know the majority of reefers on here are pretty cool but theres always going to be some weird ones!
 
For first time meet ups I almost always meet at a different location unless the person has been recommended by a friend or has had past dealings with friends. This way I am meeting the person on "neutral" ground until I have a relationship with them.
 
I never have someone to my house, only someone ive known for a few years and even then its not a everyday kind of thing. Lots of weird people out there.

Id say all standard craigslist precautions should be followed. Well let, public, busy, bring a friend, etc...
 
First time I meet someone to sell something to via craigslist, I always meet in a public spot, well lit, during the day and always bring someone. Also I like to find out what kinda car they drive because I had a situation where I texted the guy and told him what I was driving and this car circled around me several times to see if someone was with me. After a few circles, I text the number asking if they were coming and he replied no longer interested. So he obviously was up to something. After I meet someone a couple times I let them come over, as soon as they knock on the door our 150lb american bulldog goes nuts, they get scared real quick.
 
First time I meet someone to sell something to via craigslist, I always meet in a public spot, well lit, during the day and always bring someone. Also I like to find out what kinda car they drive because I had a situation where I texted the guy and told him what I was driving and this car circled around me several times to see if someone was with me. After a few circles, I text the number asking if they were coming and he replied no longer interested. So he obviously was up to something. After I meet someone a couple times I let them come over, as soon as they knock on the door our 150lb american bulldog goes nuts, they get scared real quick.

Scary story about the CL meet up!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 
I meet people away from my house.
 
Ive dont both. MOST of them are local club members so they have come to my house. I now live in a pretty remote area from the rest of my locals so I meet folks when I can. having folks see my tank usualy ends up costing them more money in the long run. I cant tell you how many folks have come over for a single frag or two and walked away with 5 bags.
 
I have always let people come to my house and most of the time it's been pretty pleasant.
A couple times I really wondered why I let someone in my house. Nothing really bad, just a little odd.
However one time I left the room to go get a bucket for a couple to take home some freebies in.
Didn't notice it untill the next day that 2 frags were missing from my tank. A nice magicians frag and a 2 polyp frag of ppe's.
Kind of bummed me out.
 
Always best to be safe especially around your family and kids...
Must admit that I always appreciate being invited to checkout peoples setups when I'm on travel, mostly people that I met on forums or maybe just interacted with a few days weeks before a travel to a country, to ask for LFS details. Have met, and became friends with many reefers, and now each time I travel I always plan some time for those meetings or visits...
In return I always invite people I've had interaction with on forums or recommended by friends, to check out my tank and organize a small tank and LFS tour, so far haven't had a bad experience.
 
I would say 90% of the time I meet people at my house. Maybe it's just the way I was brought up to have that level of trust in human nature. It hasn't come back to bite me in the rear, however there was a couple odd ducks that stopped by.

The main one had an order all set up via email from Craigslist and I had all the frags cut, glued, and healed for a few days before he got there. When he showed up he said "Well all I have is $40 in my wallet, will that work?" when we had agreed on over $200 in coral frags. They were already in a bag and inside his cooler but I said not even close and took the frags back. I later sold them all to another person for much less to clear out the rack, but I wasn't going to let the trickster have them.

Remember now, this was 1 in probably 1000 deals at my home.
 
I would say 90% of the time I meet people at my house. Maybe it's just the way I was brought up to have that level of trust in human nature. It hasn't come back to bite me in the rear, however there was a couple odd ducks that stopped by.

The main one had an order all set up via email from Craigslist and I had all the frags cut, glued, and healed for a few days before he got there. When he showed up he said "Well all I have is $40 in my wallet, will that work?" when we had agreed on over $200 in coral frags. They were already in a bag and inside his cooler but I said not even close and took the frags back. I later sold them all to another person for much less to clear out the rack, but I wasn't going to let the trickster have them.

Remember now, this was 1 in probably 1000 deals at my home.

I've heard of those stories. I've already planned to just not even deal with them and tell them to not waste my time. I've had my fair share of people where say something I'm asking for it $30 and they only come with two $20s asking if they can just get it for $20. I'm always meeting nearby shops so I always suggest that they can just ask for change. Sometimes people try to bargain even more on things that are already well prices, I don't like low-ballers either.

I always meet in public places, and a good idea is to meet somewhere where they can access change also. It's just a bit shady for someone I don't know to come into my house with my family unless they're a good friend or I at least know them a bit.
 
Seems like people like to poison tanks too. Just make sure you've met the person and think you can trust them before letting them in your home and around your glass box of hard work and money.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I meet people away from my house.

Good idea! Sorry rev for macna you can't come over lol :P . I sell on craiglist sometimes and have had a bunch of strange people come over but thank God everyone has been cool. The same with people from the forums that want to see my tank. I've met a lot of people and even made friends all by allowing people to come over.
 
The only person who I do deals with in my house is my neighbor whose tanks are the most amazing you'll ever see. Whenever I do deals for things on Craigslist or when I'm unfamiliar with the buyer/seller I have them meet me at the local grocery store which happens to be across from the police station. I've had people refuse to meet there, that's when I know something's up.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Do yourself a favor, meet them somewhere. If you plan to list on craigslist or anything like that you will find there are some odd individuals lurking those posts. Having strangers in your home is a bad idea on my opinion..

I know really I have some home theater equipment I want to sell... I just don't trust craigs list anymore.. I just dont know of any other way to sell it. To heavy to ship.

When it comes to coral I would allow someone who frequents the forums with a decent post count or been around a while or reef clubs to stop over but not craigs list.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top