Frag Plugs vs. live rock growth rates

Kevinshoemake3

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several frags I purchased on square plugs. When placed on the rock, they have a small gap between the plug and the liverock. The plugs seem to jam the Zoas together. The zoas have produced new polyps since I received them. I have a few questions about the pros and cons of using these plugs.

It seems the growth rate of the frag will slow when it reaches the ledge of the plug. Eventually, I feel it wil spread across this "mini ledge", but do you feel my logic is right? Ha, maybe I am over thinking this whole situation!

Do these plugs limit the growth of the zoa? Would the growth increase if moved off the frag plug onto a rock, or would this move potentially stun the growth of the frag? Basically, would my frag be larger in a year if I moved the zoa to a rock vs. leaving the frag alone and letting it spread?


Thanks for your insight!

Kevin
 
Last edited:
Honestly i think they will be bigger in a year if you just let them take over the plug and move onto the rocks. They might slow some when they get to the rock, maybe because the frag square is smoother and easier to cover?
 
Thanks for your help! I think i'll just leave them on the plug longer and see what they do
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top