FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

  • YES

    Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

    Votes: 212 31.4%

  • Total voters
    676
I’ve given and received tons of corals over the years. When I give something away people will normally come with a small frag of something in trade and I can’t say no.
 
I have given pulseing xena, birdsnest, rainbow monti, sunset monti, mushrooms, frogspawn.
I have gotten mushrooms, leather, sea hare , pulseing xena, appleberry monti.
 
my nephew gave me a few frags, a hammer, green zoa and armor of god zoa, also a h.o.b. fuge. Good stuff when I was just getting started
 
I have to say I’ve been very lucky or like my fellow club members say “you get what you put in”.

The best item I got for free/gift was a set of lights for my tank. The truth is if it wasn’t for those lights idk if I would’ve developed the appreciation for the hobby and the people in it I have now.

The backstory of the lights: When I started in the hobby I knew absolutely nothing... I had never kept a fish tank in my life and I started with saltwater from day 1. I jumped head on and started reading, watching videos and suddenly I came across R2R. While surfing the forum I came across a thread of people in Miami wanting to meet up a create a crew of Reefers wanting to help each other. Long story short that developed into the beginning of a club and we started growing and I am one of the founders/admins I’ve learned a ton from fellow Reefers in our club. One day I mentioned my crappy lights weren’t good at all for the corals I impulse bought but didn’t have the funds to buy new lights. A fellow member of our club just popped up and said I got you bro, I have 2 lights I don’t want I’ll bring them to the next meet... mind you I’ve never in my life have gotten help or anything for free from anyone not even my family. So I asked the guy how much do you want for them? I’m on a tight budget but I want to pay for them... he said

“just use them for as long as you need and once done pass them down to someone who needs them”

That right there sealed the deal for me! The Reefing community is probably one of the best hobby communities I’ve ever encountered.

Stay salty my friends!
 
I have gotten free stuff many times and I also have given free stuff too
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top