Freshwater to saltwater tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter LizB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

LizB

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
So I have a fluval 8.5 gallon freshwater tank. It used to house pea puffers, but they didn't make it[emoji21]. I want to convert this tank to a reef tank. I have a aquaclear 20 filter, cobalt heater, basic light that came with the tank, and a sandbed. I've been fishkeeping for 4 years now, and I want to start a reef tank. What kind of lighting should I get? I plan to keep; a neon blue goby, firefish, clown goby, long polyp leather, green Palau naphtha, and a leather colt coral. Do I need a protein skimmer? The tank has a hard top screwed in. Please give me some insight.
Thanks[emoji41][emoji108]
 
Look into A80 Kessil for light. I would get some livesand and dry rocks. Marinedepot carries 5lbs bag of livesand and BRS carries dry rocks.
The Aquaclear is a good HOB. I would put a bag of carbon in there.
 
Last edited:
+1 on BRS. that is the best deal on dry rock your going to get. Shipping is low too! protein skimmer does help but its not required. Make sure you keep a top on your tank so that fire fish doesn't jump. I have lost a couple that way
 
Thank you! What kind of 'glue' should I use on my coral? I was thinking more of a liquid but I also have a green putty. Would that work?
 
Cyanoacrylate GEL...essentially most super glue gels are good....if it's for securing rocks JBWeld marine 2 part apoxy seems to work
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top