From Canister to Sump, now low Alk and Ca. Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Eder

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2016
Messages
741
Reaction score
395
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed over my 75g tank from a canister filter with bioballs and ceramic to a sump with a refugium housing miracle mud, live sand and rock and some cheato. Now I can't seem to maintain my Ca and Alk levels.

Parameters:
75g DT with 20g Sump
Salinity - 1.023
Ph - 8.2
Alk - 4.0 (used to be 7-9)
Ca - 300 (used to always be ~400)
Temp - 78
Nitrates - <5ppm

Tank is ~ 1.5 yrs old.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
 
Welcome, I just add a sump a moth ago and I am finding the same. Remember just just increase the water volume and add a new part to the tank that is basicly cycling. Mine is starting to balence out after 45 days
 
Welcome, I just add a sump a moth ago and I am finding the same. Remember just just increase the water volume and add a new part to the tank that is basicly cycling. Mine is starting to balence out after 45 days
+1 on considering the added water volume of a sump, mine's @ 5 gals. It's easy to over look.
 
Just changed over my 75g tank from a canister filter with bioballs and ceramic to a sump with a refugium housing miracle mud, live sand and rock and some cheato. Now I can't seem to maintain my Ca and Alk levels.

Parameters:
75g DT with 20g Sump
Salinity - 1.023
Ph - 8.2
Alk - 4.0 (used to be 7-9)
Ca - 300 (used to always be ~400)
Temp - 78
Nitrates - <5ppm

Tank is ~ 1.5 yrs old.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
what is your mag. level ?
 
Thanks guys. Makes more sense. It has been frustrating me especially since I it new lights coming in and am dying to add color's through Acros.

Seems like a common issue...?

I'll check my mag level when I get home and post.

Also ordered some kalkwasser. Thoughts?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top