Frozen Shrimp with no Chemical Preservatives?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for wild caught frozen shrimp with no chemical preservatives, I currently feed my sharks wild caught shrimp and calamari. The shrimp has a preservative (sodium bisulfite) and the calamari does not. I can't seem to find wild caught shrimp without chemical preservatives so any help with direction would be much appreciated.
 
I get my shrimp from
a butcher shop, wild-caught and no preservatives..... I think you’re gonna have to work on local options. I live in the land of hipsters and crunchy hippies, which has its advantages
 
I get my shrimp from
a butcher shop, wild-caught and no preservatives..... I think you’re gonna have to work on local options. I live in the land of hipsters and crunchy hippies, which has its advantages
Actually I think wegmans has wild caught no preservatives. I'll have to go there and double check.
 
I get my shrimp from
a butcher shop, wild-caught and no preservatives..... I think you’re gonna have to work on local options. I live in the land of hipsters and crunchy hippies, which has its advantages
Do you freeze your shrimp?
 
I get my frozen shrimp from Walmart, here's the ingredients: shrimp, water, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate(to retain moisture). I'm kinda a snob so buying my shrimp from Walmart bugged me, but I had the same problem trying to find frozen shrimp without additives. While stpp is probably not that great, it's the safest route I've found. While finding a fresh alternative may be your only other option.
 
I get my frozen shrimp from Walmart, here's the ingredients: shrimp, water, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate(to retain moisture). I'm kinda a snob so buying my shrimp from Walmart bugged me, but I had the same problem trying to find frozen shrimp without additives. While stpp is probably not that great, it's the safest route I've found. While finding a fresh alternative may be your only other option.
Yes I have to look around, not much in my area.
 
Wegmans has wild caught shrimp with no preservatives.
 
I have had luck getting fresh seafood (shrimp, clams, etc) from the Asian markets in my area, I am located in Chicago and have the luck of being near 2. I would recommend checking one out if you are near one.

The cost is extremely consumer friendly, and many varieties are available.

I do freeze the seafood I buy from there, as I look at freezing fresh seafood with 0 preservatives as better than buying frozen seafood with preservatives.
 
You can often find Patagonia pink shrimp with just salt. Trader Joe’s or a Kroger’s will often have them.
 
I get my wild caught shrimp and clams from Wegmans and my local price chopper. Occasionally I have to specifically request the stuff at price chopper but they come within a few days.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top