Full grown amphipods chewing on my palys!

nanodude87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicagoland, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this before but never had a problem w/ it until now. I have lots and lots of pods in my tank and I personally witnessed full grown amphipods munching on my paly colony. It's only one colony which is peculiar but they are like eating the lashes off of the polyps! Before anyone says maybe they're zoa spiders or nudis or something I am absolutely certain they are amphipods not spiders or anything else.

I wonder if it's because I barely feed the tank since I only have two clownfish in my nano right now...?

Thoughts?
 
No this is a colony that has been flourishing up until about a week ago. It's like they're eating the lashes off of them.

I have an issue w/ ich at the moment so unfortunately I do not think adding new fish is my solution. I did however seem to recall that dragonettes are resistant to/don't get ich? Am I confused and pulling this out of thin air or is this true? If so maybe I'll throw a mandarin or dragonette of some kind in there temporarily to put a good dent in my ridiculous pod population .
 
Yeah, it's the pods. Ive had the same problem. You can either get a Mandarin or dose some interceptor...
 
I had the same problem. Lost 5 different zoas/palys because of it. Got a 6-line. haven't had a problem since.
 
why not drop some pellets in there and give them something else to snack on. its not a cure-all, but it may help.
 
Yea for sure amphipods are no good, also bristle worms, and many other small critters. If you don't feed your tank they will find food!!!!

I have no fish in my systems... imagine my challenge :)

everyone should feed their tanks often, as well as increase their nutrient export


good luck
 
I had the same problem till my wrasse and mandarin made short work of the pod populations in the tank.
 
First off, mandarins do not eat full grown amphipods, they eat copepods.
Secondly, the pods do not eat healthy coral, they eat dying or injured coral.
I suspect they were damaged, possibly disease, and the pods were drawn to them because they are vulnerable.
 
First off, mandarins do not eat full grown amphipods, they eat copepods.
Secondly, the pods do not eat healthy coral, they eat dying or injured coral.
I suspect they were damaged, possibly disease, and the pods were drawn to them because they are vulnerable.

Yes they will. They prefer copepods but will eat amphipods. Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes in my own tank.

Also, amphipods will eat healthy coral. For a couple months, I dosed phyto and heavily fed my corals with no fish in my tank but two clowns, a firefish and a yasha goby. So there was a big population... When I cut off the phyto, they got hungry, and started taking out my zoas.
 
Yes they will. They prefer copepods but will eat amphipods. Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes in my own tank.
Ok, maybe they will eat them...rarely. But in the context of the problem, I don't think it is a good fish to recommend, do you?:squigglemouth:
Also, amphipods will eat healthy coral. For a couple months, I dosed phyto and heavily fed my corals with no fish in my tank but two clowns, a firefish and a yasha goby. So there was a big population... When I cut off the phyto, they got hungry, and started taking out my zoas.
There are a lot of different types of amphipods, I am sure there are some that will eat coral. However generally amphipods do not eat healthy coral, but have been documented eating unhealthy coral many times.
 
I had the same problem. The dragonette and one pill of interceptor did not do a thing for me. They hide under rubble during day and come out to eat at night. I don't think any fish eat in the dark and some how they manage to immune to inteceptor.
 
Ok, maybe they will eat them...rarely. But in the context of the problem, I don't think it is a good fish to recommend, do you?:squigglemouth:

There are a lot of different types of amphipods, I am sure there are some that will eat coral. However generally amphipods do not eat healthy coral, but have been documented eating unhealthy coral many times.

Generally they don't eat healthy coral, but some will. Unfortunately..

Why don't you think the yellow coris is a good fish? They are reef safe, aside from feather dusters and inverts.
 
Also, I sucked all I could with a turkey baster... I don't know if it helped but it made me feel better :D
 
Why don't you think the yellow coris is a good fish? They are reef safe, aside from feather dusters and inverts.


he was refering to the mandarin. the corris however should be no problem IMO
 
#1-dragonettes are not as susceptible to ich due to a nice thick slime coat, but are not immune.
#2-he said he has ich so-- no wrasse.
#3-if the "bugs" are not eating all your zoas and palys I would think (as previously stated) the coral is in distress in some way, you may not be aware of it but is much more likely than an arbitrary choice of food among your corals. (but not impossible)
#4-interceptor will kill more than just "bugs"

My recommendation~~
get a scooter blenny (also a dragonette), cheaper than mandarin and very indiscriminate as far as food/bugs go.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top