G6 Upgrade Kit - Isn't the Price Absurd?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2020
Messages
3,072
Reaction score
8,933
Location
West Jordan
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's nice and cool that ecotech would offer an upgrade path for G5 users to have the new G6. But at $400 to upgrade the xr30 and $200 to upgrade the xr15 is simply absurd in my most humble opinion. I don't profess to know the labor/manufacturing costs of these kits but to the current G5 owners, its does not make sense to drop another $400 per light. It just doesn't. I scored a screaming hot deal and purchased 3 used G5 XR30s from another reefer at $533 per light. Adding another $400 per light nullifies the great deal I found. Though I would break even as if I purchased the lights new, to me, still doesn't make sense because I am 100% certain that I would not purchase these lights at full retail. Perspective is key and I am sure there are several of you out there who believe the upgrade path is "mind-blowing." I can respect that perspective. I actually find the price to be a tad bit abusive. Anyhow, let's discuss. Share your thoughts with me.
 
I just don’t see anyone upgrading at this price. most would be better off selling their used G5’s then just buying the new ones. At $400, it would only make sense to buy the upgrade kit if you couldn’t sell your used g5’s for >$550, which you can.
 
I guess we'll have to see what the performance of the new G6 Radions are like. I don't know if the additional spread is a "game changer", but in theory you could potentially run fewer lights. Whether it's worth the cost of the upgrade is anyone's guess at this point.

I'm not sure if the new mix of diodes is going to make a huge difference, either. It looks like the blues had more of an overhaul than the pros.

I have a pair of XR30s and a single XR15 on my 160-gallon. The cost of upgrading the two XR30s is almost twice of what it would cost to just add another XR15, so...
 
I will say that BRS really took the hype train marketing approach. I like the cellphone comparison above because the marketing techniques used by apple were definitely mimicked by BRS. Can't say that I truly like the approach but hey, businesses have to make money right? No hate here.

My personal philosophy is this, when a product is no longer can no longer prove to use that its worth its value, that's when companies have to start spending money on convincing consumers that it is. Products will eventually stop speaking for themselves.
 
Last edited:
For me it's like upgrading your phone.
Unless it's a flip model why?
If it works & does everything you need?
If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!
Yes and no. As I pointed out, if you're able to run fewer lights that could make sense in some scenarios. I'll have to look up what my electrical cost for an XR15 is, but I don't think even with the sale of the XR15 that I'll come close to breaking even.

Ironically, I could probably sell all three G5 Radions and almost pay for a new pair of G6 XR30 Radions.
 
Will be interesting to see how it influences the used prices.

If you bought the G5 3 years ago (or if you wait 1-2 years so you have had it for 5 years) it is a nice option to have.
 
I think the XR15 G6 could be a game changer for me. I have a WB 170 (54.5 X 25.5 X 24) and I’ve been contemplating upgrading my 3 Hydra 26 to 3 XR15 G5. After reading the specs on the G6, I should only need 2 of the G6. If I can sell my 3 Hydra 26 for $200 each, my out of pocket would only be $400 for the this upgrade.
 
I think the XR15 G6 could be a game changer for me. I have a WB 170 (54.5 X 25.5 X 24) and I’ve been contemplating upgrading my 3 Hydra 26 to 3 XR15 G5. After reading the specs on the G6, I should only need 2 of the G6. If I can sell my 3 Hydra 26 for $200 each, my out of pocket would only be $400 for the this upgrade.
For you it might (and it should), but we discussing the upgrade path here, not a new purchase.
 
Yes and no. As I pointed out, if you're able to run fewer lights that could make sense in some scenarios. I'll have to look up what my electrical cost for an XR15 is, but I don't think even with the sale of the XR15 that I'll come close to breaking even.

Ironically, I could probably sell all three G5 Radions and almost pay for a new pair of G6 XR30 Radions.
Its almost never a good idea to run fewer LED lights. Just turn the intensity down if you're trying to save electricity.

The vast majority of issues people have with LEDs are caused by having too few sources - all the shadowing, uneven color, etc.
 
For me it's like upgrading your phone.
Unless it's a flip model why?
If it works & does everything you need?
If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!
But it’s the G6! And here we are with only a measly G5 :crying-face:

this is how the electronics sector works - make something nearly identical a year or two later with some (usually insignificant) new feature, and people will HAVE to have it.
 
And what about the warranty? New obviously come with a warranty, but wondering how the upgrade works. How would they differentiate between your original Radion and the upgrade portion that went bad.
 
I'm sure they improved the spread, but I seriously doubt that you can reduce the number of fixtures based on the improvements alone, that's simply ridiculous. It's the same size fixture, what little improvements in spread are superficial at best. I like that they added more violets and warm whites, but it's still a vastly overpriced fixture like most LED fixtures. I will say that I love seeing all of the marketing terms being used here, talk about over-sensationalized.
 
almost seems like the move is to sell the G5s and get the G6 instead of upgrading. Worst case scenario you’re probably paying an extra $50
 
I mean they are replacing all the LED's and the board and the lenses. That's like 90% of the light being replaced. They can't reuse any of those components so they will all be scraped. They are probably nearly break even on the upgrade.

Financially speaking it will almost certainly be better to sell your current light and buy the new one if you want it. If too many people do that though it will push the price down to the point where the upgrade it worth it. So overall its nice to have the option to upgrade, though I don't see it as useful in the near term.

I see these lights as a nice upgrade if you are already looking for lights, but not worth changing existing lights. For me I can now get 2 XR15 G6's instead of 3 G5's for my 5ft LPS tank. That's a big upside for me who doesn't have a light.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top