Getting out of the hobby for a year plus...

Hidden426

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2022
Messages
27
Reaction score
55
Location
Villa Park
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been saying I am getting out of this hobby for more than a year now. In fact, my first post on this forum was me saying I was going to get rid of my setup. However, every time I start to get everything prepped to take pictures I never seem to post them. I really do love this hobby and the people that are in it.

The first year of this hobby sucked so bad and now it's all just kind of a reflex. I don't know how to explain it but it's an odd comfort in the room that I am sad to see go but I know a new hobbyist will enjoy it so much. But man that first year was terrible, so I find I am keeping it to make sure I don't have to go through that pain again. Does that sound crazy?

The tank and I have an agreement, I clean it once every two months and it won't be dumb! The mini maxis just keep multiplying and the toadstool just keeps splitting more pieces off. It's fun to watch.
IMG_2136.JPG
 
I have been saying I am getting out of this hobby for more than a year now. In fact, my first post on this forum was me saying I was going to get rid of my setup. However, every time I start to get everything prepped to take pictures I never seem to post them. I really do love this hobby and the people that are in it.

The first year of this hobby sucked so bad and now it's all just kind of a reflex. I don't know how to explain it but it's an odd comfort in the room that I am sad to see go but I know a new hobbyist will enjoy it so much. But man that first year was terrible, so I find I am keeping it to make sure I don't have to go through that pain again. Does that sound crazy?

The tank and I have an agreement, I clean it once every two months and it won't be dumb! The mini maxis just keep multiplying and the toadstool just keeps splitting more pieces off. It's fun to watch.
IMG_2136.JPG
Sad to see you go .

Maxi mini are my fav anemones
Easiest to care for . But mine have never spilt .
Curious how to encourage splitting.

The terrible part of this hobby ….
Once you’re in , you’re in for life .
It’s an addiction , a drug .
It’s like getting bitten by a giant beetle and being infected with fish keeping .


it’s sad to say good bye so we will say see you again soon

Cheers
 
I have been saying I am getting out of this hobby for more than a year now. In fact, my first post on this forum was me saying I was going to get rid of my setup. However, every time I start to get everything prepped to take pictures I never seem to post them. I really do love this hobby and the people that are in it.

The first year of this hobby sucked so bad and now it's all just kind of a reflex. I don't know how to explain it but it's an odd comfort in the room that I am sad to see go but I know a new hobbyist will enjoy it so much. But man that first year was terrible, so I find I am keeping it to make sure I don't have to go through that pain again. Does that sound crazy?

The tank and I have an agreement, I clean it once every two months and it won't be dumb! The mini maxis just keep multiplying and the toadstool just keeps splitting more pieces off. It's fun to watch.
IMG_2136.JPG
looks great
 
I have been saying I am getting out of this hobby for more than a year now. In fact, my first post on this forum was me saying I was going to get rid of my setup. However, every time I start to get everything prepped to take pictures I never seem to post them. I really do love this hobby and the people that are in it.

The first year of this hobby sucked so bad and now it's all just kind of a reflex. I don't know how to explain it but it's an odd comfort in the room that I am sad to see go but I know a new hobbyist will enjoy it so much. But man that first year was terrible, so I find I am keeping it to make sure I don't have to go through that pain again. Does that sound crazy?

The tank and I have an agreement, I clean it once every two months and it won't be dumb! The mini maxis just keep multiplying and the toadstool just keeps splitting more pieces off. It's fun to watch.
IMG_2136.JPG
Its a beautiful tank! Sad to see you go… I know how that is. My very first fish all got velvet and died. My boyfriend wouldnt let me sell the tank so I got back in it. Those nems are beautiful
 
Sad to see you go .

Maxi mini are my fav anemones
Easiest to care for . But mine have never spilt .
Curious how to encourage splitting.

The terrible part of this hobby ….
Once you’re in , you’re in for life .
It’s an addiction , a drug .
It’s like getting bitten by a giant beetle and being infected with fish keeping .


it’s sad to say good bye so we will say see you again soon

Cheers

They like it dirty. Nitrates in the 80ppm area are the sweet spot. Not that anyone would want to keep their tank at 80ppm... lol

Drugs are so much more affordable!
 
Sorry to see you go...good luck w sale... :)
@Projects with Sam is in you're area
Not sure what the local scene looks like but if any of the local crowd would like mini maxis or toadstools I have them in excess. Honestly, I think the reason I haven't gotten out yet is because I feel bad selling something I have cared for for so long.
 
The first year can be really rough. I had dinoflagellates twice in the first year. All but 2 frags died within that first year. Someone on here even asked me to get out of the hobby. lol.

Somewhere around the 10 month mark, things stated to come together and I had not lost any coral since then.

It is starting to look like something now!
IMG_2710.jpeg
 
I don't know but... I've had a couple different lfs owners tell me if things are splitting all the time your tank is struggling. Things are off and its just that nem going into survival mode. Growth is one thing but always splitting usually indicates a problem. I have a bunch of different nems. Bta's,carpet, rfa etc.. never had a split in 3 years of keeping them. Growth yes but splitting? Not a single one. I'm no expert but I feel I was given sound advice and so far it's proving true.
 
I don't know but... I've had a couple different lfs owners tell me if things are splitting all the time your tank is struggling. Things are off and its just that nem going into survival mode. Growth is one thing but always splitting usually indicates a problem. I have a bunch of different nems. Bta's,carpet, rfa etc.. never had a split in 3 years of keeping them. Growth yes but splitting? Not a single one. I'm no expert but I feel I was given sound advice and so far it's proving true.
I agree with you. The tank stays dirty. My indicator to clean the tank is when I see them split. That usually starts when nitrates are right around 80ppm. It's the reason you don't see anything other than toadstools or nems in there. I appreciate you saying something about it.

Cheers
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top