Getting that last bit of water out

Averhoeven

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2018
Messages
394
Reaction score
193
Location
Morgantown
What state or country do you live in
West Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this may be my dumbest question yet, but what are people's tips for getting that last bit of water out of a tank.
I leak tested with tap water and don't want any of that stuff in there. There's about 1/2" throughout the tank and every chamber of the sump. It's too little too suck or really scoop out.
Soak it up in towels?
 
I use a paper or bendable plastic cup to scoop out what I can then sop it up with paper towels
 
You can buy a small low cost wet/dry vac and just dedicate it to tank use.. a turkey Baster works well also but it’s time consuming
 
Wet Vac here! Mine sucks it dry, so no further mopping up is necessary.
 
Shop Vac as well here!
 
Dude, I had the most DIFFICULT time with that when i set up my tank. Luckily for me, the tank was a 25gal all-in-one, so, i was able to carry (barely) it. Stumbled halfway through my apartment like a giant to only find out i couldn't get through the door to the bathroom. Stumbled back the other to my kitchen sink, not enough room or leverage to dump the water. Ended up tipping the tank over on my balcony (3rd floor apartment building). Just thinking about it gets me worked up. ;Hurting
 
Screw that, might as well let the water evaporate at that point hahaha

Well I have the patience to do what’s necessary with the tools I have available, I have removed many gallons of water in different circumstances using just a turkey baster when that’s all that would work.. Reefing is a exercise in patience, going from your comments you may want to consider finding another hobby :)
 
Thanks for the tips everyone. Swung by Lowe's on the way home last night and grabbed a cheap ShopVac on clearance.
Grabbed this for $30 and it worked great! Didn't realize how much water was actually left though. If that holds 6 galloons, it filled twice meaning I had 12 gallons still in there. No thanks to the turkey baster :)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-6-Gallon-3-Peak-HP-Shop-Vacuum/50159051
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top