GFO Reactor Below Aquarium In A No-Sump System?

Mushroom Boy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
162
Reaction score
153
Location
Seattle
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting a GFO reactor for my Biocube 29. I don't have an external sump. I'm wondering if I could get one of the mini reactor units from BRS (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-5-single.html), and locate it in my stand. I would feed it with an MJ1200 located in one of the rear filter chambers and have the water return back up into the filter area. Just wondering if there is any issue, or concern with this type of setup. I would install ball valves on both the input and output side of the reactor in order to be able to service the unit. Any thoughts or experience with this kind of setup? I don't have room for a hang on unit.

Thanks!
 
Thanks for the replies. Not sure if a scrubber is what I would be looking for. I already grow a fair amount of chaeto in my fuge. I think I'll give that reactor a shot. Thanks again!
 
The MJ in my experience get really loud when they get a lot of back pressure. so itll work yes. But there may be a But.
I just ditched my 28g JBJ because soooo much gunk gets built up in the chambers. Great chato in there too...
A skimmer upgrade may help but I still wound up blowing out the chambers.
as far as you mod, Theres a lot of absolutely wild mods on JBJ specific websites and groups. check em out.
 
If you want to run a media reactor on a tank without a sump, I would recommend getting a simple hang on model media reactor like the Phosban 150 or something similar. You're going to have less plumbing and hassle if you're only pumping water over the lip of the tank and letting it return back into the tank vs. running it all the way down below the tank. With that amount of head pressure, you may have a difficult time getting an appropriately powerful pump that's practical.

Keep it simple and use a hang on reactor closer to the source.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top