Gigantea in HT -> Water Cloudy, What Next?

Variant

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
581
Reaction score
599
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been treating both a gigantea and magnifica in my hospital tank and just completed day 7 of Cipro. The magnifica has been a champion through the whole ordeal, mouth nice and tight and no deflations through the whole process (I treat the anemones proactively to prevent any cross contamination with my main collection.

That said, the gigantea overnight turned the water super cloudy and I did an emergency 100% water change, wiping down, and rinsing all the hospital tank equipment to ensure maximum cleanliness. The gigantea had its stomach inside out and turned into a dome shaped plate but the foot was firmly attached to the container I gave it.

I put both anemones back in the tank. My question is, should I just pull the magnifica out ASAP and put it in my display tank or should I leave it in the hospital tank for a few days to let it cycle out the cloudy water that it may have taken in? Also, does is the cloudy water a signal that the gigantea is on its way to death? Given I have two anemones in the hospital tank, I wanted to make sure to ensure as much survival as possible, 2 is ideal, 1 is okay, but both dead is a huge bummer...
 
Change water and re add medication. I would treat the anemones separately. If one does not do well it will infect and kill the other one also.
 
Change water and re add medication. I would treat the anemones separately. If one does not do well it will infect and kill the other one also.

So even if the Magnifica has been doing 10/10, continue with treatment since it has been exposed to the cloudy water from the gigantea?

Also, I unfortunately do not have two hospital tank capacity ):
 
Quick pic of the gigantea. It has never done this during the last 7 days of treatment. It is usually 12"+ open and its foot takes up half the container it is in with its disk outside.

20201022_084545.jpg
 
Do you have any anemone in the DT?
If you don't, I put the Mag in the DT and continue to treat. If you have anemone in DT, I would get an other HT and separate the two anemones.
Treat two anemone together double your rate of failure, Three together triple the rate of failure. If one not doing well, both will go down together.
 
Sorry I’m so late to the party. The inflation chambers of that guy appear to be toast. Looks like they’re disintegrating, or already disintegrated. I have not successfully recovered one like that, but would need more pics throughout the day to think for sure. I agree with Minh, if you treat that guy with another anemone you will lose them all together. Needs separation. If it was me, I would slightly increase meds concentration, 250mg and cut tank volume down to 8 gallons, and maybe do 2 tank changes a day. It’s a Hail Mary effort at this point. Needs high flow for sure, inflation chambers look like toast. Separate flow from nem with light diffuser. Good luck.
 
Do you have any anemone in the DT?
If you don't, I put the Mag in the DT and continue to treat. If you have anemone in DT, I would get an other HT and separate the two anemones.
Treat two anemone together double your rate of failure, Three together triple the rate of failure. If one not doing well, both will go down together.

I have two healthy giganteas in my DT. I split the mag and gig in the HT per your recommendation. How long should I treat the mag? It has continued to be in top condition ( no deflating, tight mouth, good body structure, no poop) over the last 5 days. I am just a bit weary that there may be some kind of bacteriA from the unhealthy gig and the mag may be hosting and spread to the DT.

Would a 2 day cipro treatment of the mag be sufficient?
 
Sorry I’m so late to the party. The inflation chambers of that guy appear to be toast. Looks like they’re disintegrating, or already disintegrated. I have not successfully recovered one like that, but would need more pics throughout the day to think for sure. I agree with Minh, if you treat that guy with another anemone you will lose them all together. Needs separation. If it was me, I would slightly increase meds concentration, 250mg and cut tank volume down to 8 gallons, and maybe do 2 tank changes a day. It’s a Hail Mary effort at this point. Needs high flow for sure, inflation chambers look like toast. Separate flow from nem with light diffuser. Good luck.

Yeah.... the mouth has been gaping ever since without closing and the water began to cloud up yet again. Today may be its last day ):

Wonder what caused the downhill after 7 days of cipro...
 
I rarely had success treating two anemones in the same tank. If it were me I would prolong to mag treatment for another 7 days to be sure and also increase the dosage a little just to be certain it doesn't bring anything in to the DT.

Best of luck with the gig, it doesn't look like it'll pull through, but who knows.
 
This was a fail. Did not survive cipro. Not sure why. It was my first time killing a gig ):

I wonder if smaller gigs do better as they have less to expel?
 
Did the Magnifica do oK?
I alway fine smaller anemones shipped better.
 
Last edited:
Did the Magnifica do oK?
Yep it is thriving in my smaller tank for the past several months. The mag has been doing well at the LFS for a while so I knew the condition was good. But the big giantea was a freshly imported specimen that probably had a lower chance of survival to begin with.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top