Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

Wow Terence you started getting Felix to post again. Miracle!
 
The Guru of Glass has to leave the Summit every once and awhile to enlighten the peoples, glad to hear from you oh Gifted one
 
Stand top is complete. Due to the "beer ledge" on the stand, the overall length of the stand was 104" and I wanted 1" overlap of plywood on all three sides so that meant the center brace was at 53". This and the cocktail table extension led to the top of the stand necessitating two sheets of 3/4" maple plywood. I could have gone with thinner construction grade, but c'mon...

IMG_2361s.jpg
IMG_2360s.jpg


IMG_2361s.jpg


IMG_2360s.jpg
 
So today we went an picked up my "sump" which is actually a fiberglass fish holding raceway or water trough - however you want to look at it. It's 92"x48"x20" and I got it for a steal. (Had to drive two hours round trip though to pick it up).

Also installed the retaining walls in the "fish cave". Tomorrow we lay the pavers for the floor. After that I can start really outfitting it - sink, water storage, work bench, etc.

image.jpg


image.jpg
 
Last edited:
!!

More updates. Almost have the floor done. I am no professional (like Mr. Syphus) but I think it will be good enough for the fish cave. Also here is a pic of the "sump", and one of the two water containers I plan to run in the system and flip flop for 80-100g water changes.

Gilroy-425- 2.jpg
Gilroy-425- 1.jpg
Gilroy-425- 4.jpg


Gilroy-425- 2.jpg


Gilroy-425- 1.jpg


Gilroy-425- 4.jpg
 
Fish Cave basics are done. Just wet down the floor to lock the pavers. Now I can level off the upper area for the water tanks and being in the "sump" - after it all dries of course!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430366367.678813.jpg
 
Oh, and this is what is keeping me satisfied while I wait for this to be complete. This is my 10g office nano with a temporary visitor (tang) to mow down an algae outbreak.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430366560.536027.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430366560.536027.jpg
 
What kind of water containers are those? I need to find something like that for my 300 gallon I am doing.
It is from Tractor Supply. SKU #: 2125822 TANK 100GAL PCO $249.99The best part of this tank is that it will fit through a 30" door and it is stable so it wont tip over in an earthquake (important where I live). It also has two flat locations to put bulkheads.
 
So here are some pics of the tank before it went into the crate (only to come back out for more "Savvy" features to be added. And also here it is coming off the truck at my office (where it still sits until hopefully next week)
Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.50.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.51.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.52.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.54.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.50.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.51.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.52.jpg


Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.54.jpg
 
OK, got the "sump" into position now in the FishCave. Next step is to move the boxes from the shelf on the left side and then run the utilities over (hot/cold water and 230V because you never know what you might want to run!)

IMG_2615 (1).jpg
 
Big box arrived today... drumroll... Two 26" Oversized Ghost Overflows from Reef Savvy. Now, these are not the standard sized ones so don't get your hopes up people because the word is you are about as likely to convince Felix to make them for you as you are to see the Timberwolves win a championship anytime soon!

 
Nice!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top