Glass bowing and tank not entirely level

Yes, we all can see the posted picture of the level and it is clearly off.

What you are sure about is that once you drain the tank it will be level. How can you tell by looking the the picture provided?
Im sure he assuming the OP had the tank and stand level before filling. Once filled the weight of water/sand etc shifted the tank out of level especially if sitting on carpet. Again just assuming since he does post clear pictures with a nice level.;)
 
Glass is made to bow a little bit, and is built into the thickness of the glass from the manufacturer. It's also taken into consideration when choosing the thickness of glass for the tank.

No it's not something to worry about, and all large glass tanks do it to some degree.
Agreed especially with rimless tanks.
 
Im sure he assuming the OP had the tank and stand level before filling. Once filled the weight of water/sand etc shifted the tank out of level especially if sitting on carpet. Again just assuming since he does post clear pictures with a nice level.;)
Exactly what I was assuming(we all know what that word means, and I guess I should have not done that), as everyone levels the tank and stand before filling.

Again if I sounded wrong, or half cocked, I apologize. That was not my intention.

EDIT:
kind of surprised that word made it through the filter. :cool:
 
Are your floors level? My 180 is about 1/8'' off from left to right, up and running 10 years. I'm on slab, slab itself is slanted about 1/2'' from front of house to back.
 
Are your floors level? My 180 is about 1/8'' off from left to right, up and running 10 years. I'm on slab, slab itself is slanted about 1/2'' from front of house to back.
Floors are level
 
Floors are level
See i knew you were good with that level! ;) I wouldnt be to stressed about it. My 220 is that same way but my floor slants backwards and ive had no issues whatsoever.
 
if it really worries you, shove some shims under the back corners of the stand.
FWIW, why would I need to see the tank? I can read a bubble on a level.
I understand what you are saying but according to the pictures he needs to put shims under the front not the back. LOL
 
If it was that critical, all of our tanks would fail after using wavemakers for a few years. Even my tank isn’t perfectly level after settling. I’m also running wavemakers and check the condition of my panel seals regularly. No changes so far and the 55g has been up and running for 8 months. Of course try to get it perfectly level if you can. But if you can only get it close I wouldn’t fret it too much.
 
I've never really considered putting a level on my tanks. Probably afraid it would set off a crusade to have everything perfectly level.
If I don't look at the tank and see uhoh, that's unlevel blatently by eye I guess it's not a problem for me.
 
We had a friend here in NY who was always complaining that every tank develops a leak. A fried of mine went there to take a look at it and his last tank was unlevel. They replaced the tank and leveled it, it was perfectly fine until they moved to Florida and had to dissassemble the setup.

Long story short he is no longer with us. RIP Stu

Lesson learned, always level your tank.
 
You always want to have your tank as level as possible. If you think you can get it more level that great but if not its looks really close and you should be fine.
 
Hi there!

A slight bow in the front glass is normal on rimless aquariums, especially in models that are 4 feet in length or more.
Thank you, puts my mind at ease! And thank everyone else for their input as well
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top