Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

Doclight

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2017
Messages
248
Reaction score
133
Location
Amarillo, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heavy piece of glass fell onto the bottom of my tank. It chipped out a small spot. No crack is visible, but I am panicking.

I put a dab of good aquarium silicone over it...

If I put egg crate on it so no rock puts pressure on that spot, do you think it will survive?

Total panic mode.. this 180g was EXPENSIVE!!!!

spot was smaller than a pea if that helps.

2017-12-09 15.33.26.jpg
 
it 1/4 " thick glass.. It did not go all the way though.
 
Its probably thicker.. I don't really know for sure.. Its a Visio Aquarium

so not structurally sound means i am screwed.. :(
 
its been hell getting it here. 1st time the truck driver drove the fork lift through it. Now this!!!!! I am just not happy..

Hard to describe.. Not like a glass chip where its angled or chipped at an angle.. Just a small round chip..
 
Can this type of damage be repaired with the type of epoxy they use to repair chipped windshields?
 
I've been reading. The problem with that is that it doesn't help with pressure. I know it won't leak. Its not deep enough. I am just worried about pressure causing it to rupture. Thats why i thought a piece of egg crate over it might help..

But keep the ideas coming.
 
I've been reading. The problem with that is that it doesn't help with pressure. I know it won't leak. Its not deep enough. I am just worried about pressure causing it to rupture. Thats why i thought a piece of egg crate over it might help..

But keep the ideas coming.
Sounds like a good question for a glazier
 
What surface is it on? the inside of the tank? and where on the bottom pane exactly
 
Definitely not a good situation there. :(
 
Pressure, tempature and vibration can cause glass cracks to run but the biggest problem is where it is on your glass and is it an oyster shell looking break essentially a clean chip. Or an actual crack that’s the hugest difference if all you structural support
 
Unless it’s tempared Glass, It won’t continue to crack. instead tempered glass either chips or explodes. But also tempered is 4x stronger then plate glass so if it’s tempared don’t worry and since it’s on the bottom as long as your tank stand has a solid top for your tank to sit flat on.
Yikes!

If that chip spiders there are no good outcomes. Can you get a glass repair company out to try a resin repair?
Does not work on tempered glass
 
Agree with attaching another piece on top of it. Not worth the worry of a blowout. Bob Fenner on wet web media will give you some suggestions if you ask the question there.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top