Glass Doors & Open Stands: What are your thoughts?

Do you have an open stand or cabinet with glass doors to show off your equipment area?

  • YES (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 56 13.6%
  • NO not interested

    Votes: 193 47.0%
  • NO but I like it

    Votes: 110 26.8%
  • Maybe one day

    Votes: 44 10.7%
  • Other

    Votes: 8 1.9%

  • Total voters
    411
I have built several stands and I used to build them out of 2x4 and even 2x6. The stand was firm, strong, cheap and can hold a real tank. After wrapping it in cheap plywood, I could barely fit a 10g tank underneath. so much space was lost. Then I went to a pet store to look at their stands. 240g tank held up by flimsy 3/4" mdf. Some 100g tanks were made of 1/2" plywood.

That's when I realized I way over engineered my stands. If the stand is to be painted, they are made of 3/4" baltic birch plywood. Loose tenon joints glued together using titebond 2. Walls are supported using 4/4 stock of beech. However, if the customer wants to stain, I give them their choice of wood and match the wood through out.
I was going for over engineered, i want the stand to last forever. Ive had the cheap store brand stands and have gotten water damage before that made me have to pull the tank off. Even if this stand gets wet itll never bow and it's being coated in water resistant paint
 
This is a working prototype for some custom work that our shop does. This is our frag tank project with an open look.

20211013_000745.jpg 20211012_235624.jpg 20211013_000840.jpg
20211013_000926.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top