Gluing Flat Marco Rock to Acrylic tank

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,875
Reaction score
5,328
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to glue flat Marco rock on the back of my acrylic tank as the background.

what should I use as glue/cement?

any downsides to this?

Anyone have any experience with it?

CA3D5DC9-84DA-46C1-8D2B-F19E77DA3ADC.jpeg

C831C730-DD4E-4E47-A510-FFD3C771258F.jpeg

2664ED0D-7A77-4788-A888-92BEF1B1DCA6.jpeg
43A66F8F-83AC-449B-A7A7-967534218FD4.jpeg
 
No experience with this particular application but I think superglue gel might work for the acrylic-rock bonding. i would suggest using a test piece of rock and acrylic and attempting to bond the rock to the acrylic while it is laying flat, letting that dry and then standing the acrylic/rock up in a salt water situation and watching it for awhile to see how it fares.

I would also evaluate the superglue impact upon the acrylic as I believe it could cause surface crazing in the acrylic which is ugly but probably not critical in the shallow tank.

You could do the same kind of test with other glue(s) and please report back with your findings. :)

(Unanswered threads bother me)

Animated GIF
 
No experience with this particular application but I think superglue gel might work for the acrylic-rock bonding. i would suggest using a test piece of rock and acrylic and attempting to bond the rock to the acrylic while it is laying flat, letting that dry and then standing the acrylic/rock up in a salt water situation and watching it for awhile to see how it fares.

I would also evaluate the superglue impact upon the acrylic as I believe it could cause surface crazing in the acrylic which is ugly but probably not critical in the shallow tank.

You could do the same kind of test with other glue(s) and please report back with your findings. :)

(Unanswered threads bother me)

Animated GIF
Thanks thats a good idea! ill see what I can find out
 
I suggest using silicone. Won't ruin your acrylic if you make a mistake or decide to remove later. Yes, it will stick to acrylic. I used silicone to add a small plastic eggcrate in my acrylic sump before.
 
I suggest using silicone. Won't ruin your acrylic if you make a mistake or decide to remove later. Yes, it will stick to acrylic. I used silicone to add a small plastic eggcrate in my acrylic sump before.
Actually using that right now.

It’s working great!
 
I love the look of this. Please post pics once you finish!
 
Looks excellent my friend! Giving me ideas….
 
Thats very imppresive! looking forwad to seeing how you fill the rest of the tank out
 
Thats very imppresive! looking forwad to seeing how you fill the rest of the tank out
Thanks! It’s a little different than what I think most people do but I really like how it turned out.

6CBC3663-4EAD-43A1-99DD-5DADE9DFDE42.jpeg
 
Wow, if you take the whole thing in, it looks like you have a set of lungs in your tank. Your secretly a Jethro Tull fan aren't you?
 
Wow, if you take the whole thing in, it looks like you have a set of lungs in your tank. Your secretly a Jethro Tull fan aren't you?
ha! yes a few people have said that.

maybe ill glue a few more on to change that :oops:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top