Gold colored growth on my aquascape

SpankMonkey

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
7
Location
Texas City
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set up my 10 gallon Nano reef tank, cycled it with that turbo start, and fed the empty tank for about a month now. pretty sure by my monitoring and testing I've gone thru the ammonia cycle. I've added one clown, one red banded shrimp, a narcissus snail and a few coral. small feeds every other day. all parameters seem fine, but I am getting a goldish growth on my rocks. i started with dead sand and rocks. i did add a bottle of coralline algae. is this the beginning stages? am i hitting other issues? ignore the blue and purple colors on rock, as they are epoxy.

20210921_111947[1].jpg
 
Last edited:
I've set up my 10 gallon Nano reef tank, cycled it with that turbo start, and fed the empty tank for about a month now. pretty sure by my monitoring and testing I've gone thru the ammonia cycle. I've added one clown, one red banded shrimp, a narcissus snail and a few coral. small feeds every other day. all parameters seem fine, but I am getting a goldish growth on my rocks. i started with dead sand and rocks. i did add a bottle of coralline algae. is this the beginning stages? am i hitting other issues? ignore the blue and purple colors on rock, as they are epoxy.

20210921_111947[1].jpg
Do they brush off easily? If so, they are probably diatoms.
 
I've set up my 10 gallon Nano reef tank, cycled it with that turbo start, and fed the empty tank for about a month now. pretty sure by my monitoring and testing I've gone thru the ammonia cycle. I've added one clown, one red banded shrimp, a narcissus snail and a few coral. small feeds every other day. all parameters seem fine, but I am getting a goldish growth on my rocks. i started with dead sand and rocks. i did add a bottle of coralline algae. is this the beginning stages? am i hitting other issues? ignore the blue and purple colors on rock, as they are epoxy.

20210921_111947[1].jpg
It looks more like diatoms to me but give it time. Lots of this stuff takes time to come in
 
It looks more like diatoms to me but give it time. Lots of this stuff takes time to come in
I have gotten heavy diatom growth to spring up in a single day. Coralline took me months in my old system (faster in my new one).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top