Goni keeps tightening up for days at a time

Russo757

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
536
Reaction score
1,492
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Goni specialists know if gonis are more sensitive to certain parameters than other corals? I have an amazeballs Goni that completely closes up for a few days to a week every 6 weeks or so. I also have a fire garden Goni in the same system that’s perfectly happy. The amazeballs will lose all PE and then will revert back to full PE but it stays tight for quite a long tome and I’m wondering if I’m missing a possible irritant.

alk - 8.0-8.3
Calc - 459
Mag - 1300
Po4 - .04-.07
No3 - 8

tank is fairly stable and has sps and lps in it. I’ve tried moving it around and it will be happy for a bit then always tightens up. I’ve dipped and no pests are present. Any advise would be much appreciated
 
IMO, gonis are picky, especially the newly fragged wild ones, I would move them to low light and low flow to see if they get better, also cleaner shrimps or sands can irritate gonis
 
mine likes slow indirect flow. little phyto helps too. Had to set it in a zenreef mushroom box since I have a high flow sps tank
 
Amazeballs should be aquacultured (at this point) and tank conditioned, have you been moving it around? Sometimes I find they get ticked off for days on-end if they're moved around in the tank. I would place them in an area with random low-moderate flow and low-moderate lighting and just leave it there.

As long as it's not losing flesh I wouldn't be worried yet, good luck!
 
Amazeballs should be aquacultured (at this point) and tank conditioned, have you been moving it around? Sometimes I find they get ticked off for days on-end if they're moved around in the tank. I would place them in an area with random low-moderate flow and low-moderate lighting and just leave it there.

As long as it's not losing flesh I wouldn't be worried yet, good luck!
So i had it next to another Goni in the sand bed and the fire garden always has good PE. The amazeballs seemed to tighten up for a few days here and there about once a month. I moved it over to my 30 that has moderate flow and low light. It opened up for quite some time and recently tightened again. Been tight for a few weeks now. Just seems extremely picky for an aquacultured piece.
 
Any update? I was going to ask about my amazeballs. Mine doesn’t close completely but keeps its polyps tight- I had it by my other super happy gonis but then moved it thinking it wanted less flow and it still looks the same.

it’s growing new polyps etc so I’m not super worried, but would love a little better extension.
 
Where is your Goni from? Is it Indonesian background or Australian?

Also what are you feeding it? It does need to be fed fairly frequently.

Regarding parameters - mine is pretty tolerant - but I have an Australian.

I do find in general its much happier when I doze frozen phyto and rotifers, but I also feed it reef roids at least once a week, but sometimes twice depending on how my parameters are doing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top