Goniopora flower pot coral info needed

Alk and calcium. As i mentioned earlier inthe thread.
He's talking about the test kits, not the dosing.

They said in LFS for my size of tank it basically will be stable and look after itself with proper care? Not sure what he meant but I think he meant its big enough to not worry about a lot like some do with smaller tanks..
I don't know what this means either, but it sounds like he's saying "yeah sure, go ahead and buy this." No size of tank is so big that it takes care of itself. If I recall correctly, you upgraded to a 29; even if your LFS's claim were true, 29 is still on the low end of the spectrum. If you're dosing, you need to be testing because just a little can cause a relatively big swing.

My other mushroom hasn't came out yet, it has holes on the top where the tentacles I guess come out of and the bottom is a bright purple, not sure if I have him upside down or what cause I could barely see him in the store he was in-between different corals
IME, mushrooms to a limited extent are like terrestrial plants in that they will seek out light as long as they are happy with other parameters.
 
He's talking about the test kits, not the dosing.


I don't know what this means either, but it sounds like he's saying "yeah sure, go ahead and buy this." No size of tank is so big that it takes care of itself. If I recall correctly, you upgraded to a 29; even if your LFS's claim were true, 29 is still on the low end of the spectrum. If you're dosing, you need to be testing because just a little can cause a relatively big swing.


IME, mushrooms to a limited extent are like terrestrial plants in that they will seek out light as long as they are happy with other parameters.
Ive tried to explain all this the whole thread and i just gave up because it wasnt sinking in. Also he likes to believe the LFS guy, so i just said good luck.
 
Well i trust the LFS because theyre pretty well known for there salt water fish and tanks, also they give good help and advice, the two gus head over the place went to uni for that type of thing, they got there certificates on the wall etc so i imagine id trust in there words? then ask a few folk here to see if theres any mixed results, and ive noticed i always get mixed results, like a guy once told me on here, theres so many different opinions and advice that youll have to decide your self because everyone will have different answers...
 
i know i need a test kit for dosing which i havent got yet but i will, i mean i really dont need to buy all these big fancy things for a tank to be successful, i can be successful with less than more,
 
i know i need a test kit for dosing which i havent got yet but i will, i mean i really dont need to buy all these big fancy things for a tank to be successful, i can be successful with less than more,
Its common sense man. YOU DONT ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK YOU DONT TEST FOR. Thats a fact, not an opinion. whoever said add stuff and just get a kit later doesnt have a clue about water chemistry. Any advanced reefer on here will tell you this.
 
Its common sense man. YOU DONT ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK YOU DONT TEST FOR. Thats a fact, not an opinion. whoever said add stuff and just get a kit later doesnt have a clue about water chemistry. Any advanced reefer on here will tell you this.

I'm not a big test guy, but when adding parts a and b, you have to know your starting point, desired point and how much is taken in by the corals. You'll want to be consistent on the days you add, however you might add 5 ml each day or you might add 25 ml. you won't know until you track the values.

As for LFS guys, going in with blind faith is your choice. Your experience and their experience will be different. They probably have great common knowledge, but not specific to your tank.
 
Its common sense man. YOU DONT ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK YOU DONT TEST FOR. Thats a fact, not an opinion. whoever said add stuff and just get a kit later doesnt have a clue about water chemistry. Any advanced reefer on here will tell you this.


Keep off my threads please, or ill have to report you for harassing the group members, i admit im a noob at most of this and im quickly getting it all so i know and understand how everything works, i nor anyone here needs ignorant trolls such as yourself, you could be a noob for all i know, so i really dont want your advice, and unless your giving advice then get off my threads... thanks
 
I'm not a big test guy, but when adding parts a and b, you have to know your starting point, desired point and how much is taken in by the corals. You'll want to be consistent on the days you add, however you might add 5 ml each day or you might add 25 ml. you won't know until you track the values.

As for LFS guys, going in with blind faith is your choice. Your experience and their experience will be different. They probably have great common knowledge, but not specific to your tank.

yeah eactly, im sure some people take things differently here cause some think they know it all and are top dog on this forum, i cant stand people like that, i ask for some advice on some threads and now this guy whos only joined here a few months ago thinks he has a PHd in chemistry and what not, when he probably asked for all his info, you arent born knowing everything, you get taught, im just repeating what ive been told by LFS or ppl on here, i cant make anything up if i dont know anything about it


i am getting a test kit as soon as i can find a store that has it, its almost like ppl here force you to go buy this or that, well i know i need to buy certain things but i aint gonna buy for example 700 dollar lights and 500dollar filters lol no use for that and thats just nonsense ill get a test kit whenever i find one, my corals are fine and i know enough to know theyre doing good in my tank with or without a test kit lol
 
Its common sense man. YOU DONT ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK YOU DONT TEST FOR. Thats a fact, not an opinion. whoever said add stuff and just get a kit later doesnt have a clue about water chemistry. Any advanced reefer on here will tell you this.
No one said add things to your tank and get a test kit later, my LFS is down the road about 20mins away, i can get water tested and help from thee if i need it, but they arent open 24hrs a day so i come here because this place has helpful people to guide me the right way about things, you however think youre the only person in the world who knows about water chemistry, the water will be fine for a few days until i get a test kit, i aint gonna stress over one when i have 3 small pieces of coral lol it isnt like im owning a full reef tank, plus theyre happy.. dont get your panties in a wad
 
No one said add things to your tank and get a test kit later, my LFS is down the road about 20mins away, i can get water tested and help from thee if i need it, but they arent open 24hrs a day so i come here because this place has helpful people to guide me the right way about things, you however think youre the only person in the world who knows about water chemistry, the water will be fine for a few days until i get a test kit, i aint gonna stress over one when i have 3 small pieces of coral lol it isnt like im owning a full reef tank, plus theyre happy.. dont get your panties in a wad

More than likely with this attitude, you'll learn the hard way. I will say water chemistry, even in a large tank (180+ gallons) can change overnight. I have been reef keeping for 25 years and still have things happen in the tank that I can't explain, but usually look at water conditions as the primary reason.

And if the LFS sells the parts a and b, they should have the test kits.
 
I have kept several different goni colonies over the years in well established tanks. I would highly advise to feed them and insure water quality is in order, all of the ones that I have had were very sensitive to any changes in water quality. Would also recommend I higher quality food for them as well. Several very good options have already been mentioned and another food I would recommend would be LRS Foods.
Best of luck to you
Eric
 
I'm going to try to diffuse this before it goes any further than it needs to.
Nick, if you recall I was one of the first people that responded to you when you first joined the forum. It seems like (to the rest of us) you ask questions, but disregard the advice that's given to you. This is a hobby that can cost a lot of money, and you're right, you don't need $700 lights or other expensive things. A lot of other members have the high end stuff like that, but it isn't necessary. All we've ever told you (myself included) is to be patient. Finish your cycle before you add fish. Let your tank mature before you add an anemone. Test before you dose. But you listen to the guys at the shops who quite honestly don't have your best interests at heart. We've all learned lessons the hard way, and we're trying to help you be successful with what we've learned. We don't have anything to gain by whatever decisions you make on what to buy or not buy. The guys at the shop do, and they're usually not going to advocate that you be patient when you obviously want to buy something. For the guy at your LFS to say that your tank is big enough to take care of itself is totally irresponsible and entirely untrue, no matter how big or small your tank is.
Only other thing that I will add is that 29 gal is still pretty small, and a little goes a long way in a small system. If you're off by a little, it will make a big difference.
 
I got into this hobby when I was young, and impatient, and driven by what I wanted to hear instead of what was correct.

I didn't want to hear that I couldn't have two tangs in my tank, and one died. I was impatient and the people at my LFS told me the fish would be fine.

I wanted corals but didn't want to do the work of checking my pH or alkalinity or salinity or calcium or magnesium etc... I ended up losing lots of my money (and my parents' money, when they tried to support my hobby).

You should always take these forum posts with a grain of salt. People don't always know what they're talking about. I sure don't know everything. But the people here are trying to help you in their own free time at no cost. They have no sort of ulterior motive. The LFS does. Many employees at these stores get paid on commission, meaning every time they sell you something their paycheck gets bigger. They also have a personal interest in making themselves and their store look good - it's human nature - and any bad advice they may have given you they will defend.

Hope your tank is well and stays well.
Scott
 
I got into this hobby when I was young, and impatient, and driven by what I wanted to hear instead of what was correct.

I didn't want to hear that I couldn't have two tangs in my tank, and one died. I was impatient and the people at my LFS told me the fish would be fine.

I wanted corals but didn't want to do the work of checking my pH or alkalinity or salinity or calcium or magnesium etc... I ended up losing lots of my money (and my parents' money, when they tried to support my hobby).

You should always take these forum posts with a grain of salt. People don't always know what they're talking about. I sure don't know everything. But the people here are trying to help you in their own free time at no cost. They have no sort of ulterior motive. The LFS does. Many employees at these stores get paid on commission, meaning every time they sell you something their paycheck gets bigger. They also have a personal interest in making themselves and their store look good - it's human nature - and any bad advice they may have given you they will defend.

Hope your tank is well and stays well.
Scott


thank ya bud! exactly! well said, a few people on here gave me advise which was wrong cause i later found out it was, so now i take it like a grain of salt and do a lot of research of my own just to see if its good or bad advice... so far my corals have done great, waters great etc, ive nothing to worry about yet and i hope not anytime soon!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top