Good, and cheap lights for a 29g biocube?

I have a stock 29g oceanic biocube looking to upgrade. The blue light went out it. Its not the light bulb. I am a newbie when it come to lighting. I know nothing about it. All I know is that it creates photosynthesis for my corals. I know I am limited on the selection of corals I can get with my stock lighting. What is the difference and the best between the t5, and LED. I am on a budget something around $120.

Either T5 or LED retrofit should fit your budget.
T5 retrofit is the easiest and quickest to do, the only draw back is cost of bulb for replacing it every 8-12 months to maintain correct spectrum for your corals.
Led retrofit can be done solder less, for 29gal tank you do not that many diodes, you need slim heat sink and a fan for thermal control.
A lot of diy threads for your tank that you can search online, lots of video on youtube also.
 
I ran a Current Sunpod 150w metal halide for years over my aquapod with a phoenix 14k bulb. You can find them used in your price range. I would recommend that.
 
Mainereefer I found an evergrow for $80. 120w blue and white dimmable led. but cant find no review. Alot of ppl say t5 ho are alot brighter. Is that true?
 
personally I would go with full spectrum. it looks allot nicer and the corals love it. the link I posted on the evergrow he runs sales every couple weeks for full spectrum with optics for $88
on a small tank I wouldnt worry to much about optics you wont need them, bt spend the extra on the full spectrum
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow. Im going to get that 165w led full spectrum. Its for 29g biocube and im not planning on getting crazy corals.
 
with that light on a bio-cube, I would be suprized if you get either channel over 40% with lps and softies maybe around 50% for sps

you will probably want to remove the optics so you can put the light closer than12" above the tank
 
How do you install this light in the bio cube? I would love to get LED's for my Bio Cube 29 and these prices don't seem too outrageous, but with the enclosed lid I don't understand how you do this.
 
i agree.. brought a few stuff from him
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top