Good apex for nuvo fusion 20G?

Ryushei

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2016
Messages
85
Reaction score
15
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have the money to either buy any of the Apex systems. I have a fusion 20 with a skimmer and a media reactor. I was thinking about getting the apex classic but with the top of the line one with wifi, seems a lot better because you get more. But what do I really need in my case? I am home a lot and only gone for a very long time during holidays since I am a college student. Is it better to get a apex jr with a ph probe because thats all I actually really want. I have a jabao rw-4 with kessils and that is probbly the end of what I have. Any tips or suggestions or any other add ons that would be good?
 
I just bought an Apex classic system for my reef (still waiting on it to arrive). My thought on your question is that the answer is more about what you want the system to do and monitor than house often your available. There are also tons of toys available for it which will help you decide if you want the larger system or the jr, or the newer system vs. the classic one. I'll tag a few guys that can offer far more knowledge on apex than I can. @hybridazn @Broadfield
 
If you can run an ethernet cable to the Apex, then the WiFi of the new Apex is irrelevant. So that is one thing you need to consider. The other main thing to consider is if you think you will ever upgrade to a larger tank? The reason I ask is because the new Apex "may" benefit you more than the classic, on a larger tank. For example, the WAV units are far too much flow for you current tank, but they would be wonderful for a larger tank... like 75 gallon or larger. And the WAV pumps can plug directly into the new Apex, as opposed to needing to purchase a 1-Link module if you have the Apex Classic. Likewise, you probably are not using a dosing unit on your current tank because it's so small, but you may on a larger tank. That's where the DOS would come into play. Again, it can plug directly into the new Apex, but would require the 1-Link module to plug into the Classic. Same thing goes for the new COR15 return pump coming out... it can plug directly into the new Apex. I know that's a lot of what-ifs, but it's exactly what happened to me. I had a Fusion 30 with what is now called the Apex Classic. I then purchased my current Red Sea Reefer 450... which I have the WAV power heads, DOS etc. Now it didn't matter for me, because the new Apex didn't even exist yet... but it could matter for you.

So if you are not concerned about a possible future tank size upgrade utilizing the add-ons I noted, and you can run an ethernet cable to your Apex, then I would definitely just do one of the classic units.
 
Do not go with the Jr. unless price is the limiting factor.

I setup an Apex Jr on my 10 gallon nano in December and I already regret that I didn't go with a classic.
 
If you can afford the new apex I would suggest getting that one. Sure it is complete overkill for your current setup but if you ever upgrade to a different system down the road you will have everything.

I don't suggest the Jr. Initially only hashows 4 outlets and expandability wise it is very limited compared to the classic and new system.
 
If you can afford the new apex I would suggest getting that one. Sure it is complete overkill for your current setup but if you ever upgrade to a different system down the road you will have everything.

I don't suggest the Jr. Initially only hashows 4 outlets and expandability wise it is very limited compared to the classic and new system.
I was going to get the apex jr for my fusion 40 but decided not to and getting the full apex so when I do upgrade I don't have to buy the full and 4 plugs don't work for me.
 
Ha ha, I was reading your post and thought it sounded super familiar, cross checked reddit, and sure enough :) same opinion though. If you ever plan on upgrading go big now and you'll be set for later. Especially if money isn't an issue.
 
Ha ha, I was reading your post and thought it sounded super familiar, cross checked reddit, and sure enough :) same opinion though. If you ever plan on upgrading go big now and you'll be set for later. Especially if money isn't an issue.
Lol yeah I wanted more opinions so posted on reddit as well
 
Yeah but I'll probbly go with the classic.i won't be upgrading until like 4 more years or even more so I'll just go with the classic and when I do decide to go big. I would get the updated model etc.
I just want to be able to monitor my system when I'm gone for holidays.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top