Good growth or just stretching its legs.

RareEarthCorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
597
Reaction score
274
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I have been monitoring the growth of my Jack O but comparison over the last two weeks or so and it appears that we have added 1/8 of an inch to the mantle. Using stock Biocube lighting and at/near the bottom of the tank. It is the only SPS I have and I have been impressed with its growth. If the pace continues I should cover the 1" frag by years end. Ive never tried but is there a way to remove him from this frag without damage?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1442428596.521884.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1442428630.412234.jpg
 
This is one coral I have been looking at trying to decide if I want to add it.

I can definitely see where it would do well under stock lighting (power compacts)?.

Nice piece, very unique.

Your piece definitely looks to have grown.
 
@MontiFanatic402 , there is a frag on mindblowingcorals.com...she has good prices and very healthy coral

I highly recommend her

oops guess she sold it but check back, I just bought 2' jack o frag for $45 off of her
 
Psst, leptoseris is regarded as an LPS


Im not an expert, but I called it an LPS and someone else corrected me sighting this article on Mr Saltwater Tank. If I start calling it an LPS someone will inevitably correct me again calling it an SPS.

Mr Saltwater Tank calls it an SPS

Combining a striking orange body and yellow-green eyes, the Halloween Lepto delights anyone who looks upon this SPS coral. Besides the unique color combination, the halloween Lepto also grows in an ridged encrusting pattern that makes it even more of an eye-catcher.

Unlike other high-end SPS that are known to be delicate, the Halloween Lepto is an easy keeper requiring only moderate light and moderate to low flow. My frag of Halloween Lepto shown in the photo thrived under only four T5 bulbs at the bottom of a 21” deep tank. I’ve also found the coral to be very forgiving as it spent three days upside down after it got knocked off a rock. The coral has also recovered from multiple chemical attacks from neighboring corals.

Rounding out the reasons why the Halloween Lepto is a must-have coral is the fact that specimens are nearly all aquacultured. Extensive aqua culturing have driven down the price of the coral from over $100 USD a frag to under $50 USD. I love my Halloween Lepto and haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love their specimens as well.
 
LPS & SPS is a hobbyst distinction; nothing scientific about it. It's simply classification by perceived polyp size. I argue the real intent of this classification is to group corals by what care they need; SPS = high light, high flow; LPS = low light, low flow.

If you just look at the polyp size, lepto could be an SPS. But if you consider what it actually requires, LPS probably fits better.

Halloween Lepto shown in the photo thrived under only four T5 bulbs at the bottom of a 21” deep tank.
And to that point, SPS does not fit.

Leptos are, mostly, low-light corals.
 
Worldwidecorals.com has these... But look under lps section for it... Not sps section.
 
I'd also like to know the best way to remove a coral from it's frag plug without damaging it. I'm about to set my corals in place and would rather them not be on frag plugs, but I also don't want to risk damaging them. Any suggestions?
 
I'd also like to know the best way to remove a coral from it's frag plug without damaging it. I'm about to set my corals in place and would rather them not be on frag plugs, but I also don't want to risk damaging them. Any suggestions?


One way I can see it possible is to lift the skirt around the edges loosening the coral from the frag. I would be afraid I would tear it or damage it in someway.

The only other way would be to let it grow over the plug to the point it covers it completely and use reef putty to level it out onto the rocks as it grows.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top