Good news !!! Filter media = Aptasia magnet!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12,610
Location
ARIZONA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought, Marine Pure Balls (MP) in my frag tank would produce young tasty Aptasia anemones that I could toss into my display tank and provide a nice meal for my Copperband Butterfly fish.
Originally, I placed the MP balls in my dt sump for bacteria seeding months before I set up my frag tank. Once my frag tank was set up, I placed the seeded MP balls in the frag tank filter area. Once the Aptasias began to grow and mature on the balls, I thought I’d clean them up by dropping them back into the main tank. It took all of 48 hours for Bah, my CBB to totally clean the 10 or so Marine pure balls.
Always looking for a way to clean up my reef!
4C389E9D-84B9-4B9D-9F62-D50FA038A1F5.jpeg
079A3E0E-9120-4D5D-962F-2A3174146F2B.jpeg
 
OH - and by the way - thats the best looking copperband I've seen (and I own one:))
Cant really see the chunkyness of op cbb but @Tamberav has one chunky cbb indeed.maybe they will post picture of it ^_^

I love my cbb.gpt scared off at first with reviews of being finnicky eaters and alot die but researched them and thought I can do that so had for about 5 months now and at first shy and skittish but now got eating from some tweezers and going try with my hand next and think he should hand feed as he always first to go up and get food and eats lots of the mainly clams and other shellfish food I feed the tank ^_^
 
Cant really see the chunkyness of op cbb but @Tamberav has one chunky cbb indeed.maybe they will post picture of it ^_^

I love my cbb.gpt scared off at first with reviews of being finnicky eaters and alot die but researched them and thought I can do that so had for about 5 months now and at first shy and skittish but now got eating from some tweezers and going try with my hand next and think he should hand feed as he always first to go up and get food and eats lots of the mainly clams and other shellfish food I feed the tank ^_^
I agree - I think most CBB's are not killed becasue of 'not wanting to eat' - but rather a disease or parasite or collection method that makes them not want to eat. My CBB eats flake food - when I rarely offer it. In fact it fights off the harlequin tusk - that is 2 inches larger in length - and an Inch larger in girth
 
Mine wants to eat all the time!!! As do all of my other fish. But the difference between “all my other fish” and my CBB is that the CBB “needs” to eat multiple times a day. Hobbyists need to accept this truth. CBB also spend a lot of energy looking for and pacing the tank until they get fed.
 
I never thought, Marine Pure Balls (MP) in my frag tank would produce young tasty Aptasia anemones that I could toss into my display tank and provide a nice meal for my Copperband Butterfly fish.
Originally, I placed the MP balls in my dt sump for bacteria seeding months before I set up my frag tank. Once my frag tank was set up, I placed the seeded MP balls in the frag tank filter area. Once the Aptasias began to grow and mature on the balls, I thought I’d clean them up by dropping them back into the main tank. It took all of 48 hours for Bah, my CBB to totally clean the 10 or so Marine pure balls.
Always looking for a way to clean up my reef!
4C389E9D-84B9-4B9D-9F62-D50FA038A1F5.jpeg
079A3E0E-9120-4D5D-962F-2A3174146F2B.jpeg
Nice fish! Brightwell bio-blocks also work very well as a media for growing Aiptasia. A far cheaper option that also works well is lava rock from the local home store (I have done no testing about any possible leaching).
 
Nice fish! Brightwell bio-blocks also work very well as a media for growing Aiptasia. A far cheaper option that also works well is lava rock from the local home store (I have done no testing about any possible leaching).
I’ve understand that lava and lace rock both leach. I’m guessing with a larger tank and water changes hobbyists should be good. Who knows?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top