good salt to use at a good price

unlimitedbulliesjavie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
95
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im currrntly using instant ocean but was considering trying a new salt mix im still New to the hobby and want some opinions
 
instant ocean is a very good salt, what do you plan to stock your tank with as far as corals? I use a both instant ocean and reef crystal. My tank is a mixed reef with both LPS and SPS with fish.
Why do you want to change to a new salt?
 
Instant ocean reef crystals what I use. Clumps up really bad but nothing else ever been wrong with it. guess ur using the same. Also want to add switching salt may not be as easy as you think. certain types have nutrients and minerals in it. If you just switch to one without it its like taking crack away from a crack head.
 
I've tried a few. From the high dollar ones to plan Instant ocean. Instant ocean is probably my favorite sea salts & Reef Crystals for a reef salt.
 
I use whatever is on sale at the time which is normally reef crystals. I've never had any issues with it nor "clumping".
 
I buy everything online. 200 gallon box of io at dfs is 45. I can always add a couple other things to get the free shipping
 
I buy everything online. 200 gallon box of io at dfs is 45. I can always add a couple other things to get the free shipping

DFS is great for a lot of things. I found best deals there for salt. Like you said throw in extra item for free shipping, I got a mag float algae scrubber. I use coralife marine salt mix though it's good doesn't clump at all and isn't much more than IO
 
The aqueon seems to work better for me than the mag float. The only problem is that it sinks :-(
 
Well it's supposed to sink and stay upright but it is kinda a pain. It works amazing though
 
I
buy mine at LFS they compete with internet prices anyways. even if there losing a little money on something. You can show them a site with the lowest price there. Excluding bulk items. And they will take 1% off from that price. Does not sound like much but you gotta think shipping cost and everything else.
 
I like the Reef Crystals, The clumping issues is normally found when the slat get moisture or wet in the bag or what ever you keep you salt in.
 
I like Red Sea coral pro. It mixes extremely fast and leaves no residue. the cal/alk/mag levels are very good in it. for a 55gal bucket its only a few dollars more then an instant ocean bag. I like teh bucket over bag as well as easier to handle. I dont get any clumping issues with it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top