Gorgonians most say advanced to expert

The yellow NPS gorgonian you have is easy to keep... I have them sitting in the back section of my tank and they are starting to encrust, They don't like light at all.
 
The yellow NPS gorgonian you have is easy to keep... I have them sitting in the back section of my tank and they are starting to encrust, They don't like light at all.
Thanks I'll keep an eye on it.
 
From my experience, place gorgonians perpendicular to a strong alternating flow and they will be really happy. Try to stay photosynthetic as IMO they are easier.

Feeding recommendation: @Reef Nutrition OysterFeast and R.O.E.
 
Last edited:
From my experience, placing gorgonians perpendicular to a strong alternating flow and they will be really happy. Try to stay photosynthetic as IMO they are easier.

Feeding recommendation: @Reef Nutrition OysterFeast and R.O.E.
Oyster feast that's what I tried thanks for jogging my memory I keep forgetting to pick a new bottle up that's what my LFS feeds.
 
Last edited:
You will need to feed it more than 3 times a week. It may be one of the easier NPS other than maybe sun corals but it is not easy compared to other photosynthetic gorgonia. . It slowly starves if not fed enough, sometimes it takes a year to happen. It also get cover in algae if you have algae issues. Lots of times people think they are successful just to have the tissue start to disappear.

Cyclopeese is good, any kind of eggs, prawn egg, fish eggs, oyster eggs. . Basically any small food that is really nutritious.

I feed even the photosynthetic gorgonians . Gorgonians really like food even though some are ok not being fed. I just find they are so much more healthy and able to fight off disease and algae so better when fed.
 
Last edited:
You will need to feed it more than 3 times a week. It may be one of the easier NPS other than maybe sun corals but it is not easy compared to other photosynthetic gorgonia. . It slowly starves if not fed enough, sometimes it takes a year to happen. It also get cover in algae if you have algae issues. Lots of times people think they are successful just to have the tissue start to disappear.

Cyclopeese is good, any kind of eggs, prawn egg, fish eggs, oyster eggs. . Basically any small food that is really nutritious.

I feed even the light loving ones I still feed. Gorgonians really like food even though some are ok not being fed. I just find they are so much more healthy and able to fight off disease and algae so better when fed.
Cool thanks for the imformation an tips I'm going to pick up some oysterfeast this week I'm at the farm I work at two days a week Wednesday which isn't far from my LFS. Thats what they feed all of their coral tanks.
 
Yellow Finger Gorgonians DO NOT need to be fed as much trust me... I own 3 and have had them release gametes. I have mine in the sump compartment of my AIO aquarium. They will do fine with detritus as food. You can release detritus into the water column by spraying water on you're rock/sandbed
 
Pics of Mine. If you feed the fish, you feed these guys. They prefer moderate lighting and good water flow

gorg1.jpg
gorg2.jpg
gorg3.jpg
 
I love gorgonians. I have 3 photosynthetic, but only one is growing real fast. Yellow mannela NPS, for two years, which is not growing but it is healthy. And I have a spiral yellow , which supposed to be NPS coral, but in the 3 years I have it, nearly doubled! So i think, it might be photosynthetic. IAM not target feed anything , but broadcast feeding live phyto and rotifers daily.
8023378bbea3de925b14eb3b3a57bdd5.jpg
e31de7eb8adbd2fd3822192c843e1a6d.jpg
 
Years ago, I was given a bunch of purple sea whips by a LFS. These had arrived in such poor shape that they were not expected to survive (there was no tissue on many parts of the 'skeleton'.) I put them in a 110-gallon tank that used two Carlson Surge Devices for water flow. This flow was so intense that the gorgonians were bent almost double when the CSDs discharged. To make a long story short, not only did they recover but they grew new tissues and thrived. I did not intentionally feed them.
Irrelevant to gorgonians, but I really try to find an answer, if a reef tank can be maintained successfully, with only flow device, one or more CSD? Had that reef tank , only 2 CDS for flow?
 
Last edited:
Irrelevant to gorgonians, but I really try to find an answer, if a reef tank can be maintained successfully, with only flow device, one or more CSD? Had that reef tank , only 2 CDS for flow?
Yes, but they were 5-gallon buckets situated above 3 feet above the tank - when they discharged, they emptied in just a few seconds. I had to use coral rubble as a substrate (about 1" diameter) since sand was just blown around. Only the tank showed through the wall, so it was easy to hide these contraptions. But they were noisy.
 
Yellow Finger Gorgonians DO NOT need to be fed as much trust me... I own 3 and have had them release gametes. I have mine in the sump compartment of my AIO aquarium. They will do fine with detritus as food. You can release detritus into the water column by spraying water on you're rock/sandbed
Bare bottom but I blast the live rock periodically with an MJ1200 and use a HOB to polish the water. I do have a brittle star that does a decent job at the detritus too.
 
Had a blueberry gorg, NFS. It was great, but I had a bad case of GHA and it smothered it. Lasted 6 months. If anyone wants one. Just a heads up. Make sure your nuisance algae is under control first.
 
I am a big fan of gorgs, especially the photosynthetic ones. I have tried a couple NPS over the years with varying success, most have not thrived IMO...

I currently have 6 varieties, most have been with me a while and fragged often... these are all pretty easy to keep..

d467a4de86a6c8d111b238a8627dee60.jpg
 
@40B Knasty What were you feeding yours? I have one that doesn't seem to lose anymore flesh but it also doesn't grow back flesh. I rescued it from an LFS
Mine is gone. I fed it coral combo and reefroids. It would have been fine if my algae issue was under control.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top