Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

I'm leaning toward a Crocea. I don't want to get a Maxima and have it outgrow my tank and need to re-home it later. I realize that Crocea are difficult to keep around and might consider a Deresa instead. My mind isn't made up on anything yet...
Crocea, Noae and Maxima do not grow fast. The other three species Squamosa, Derasa and Gigas grow way too fast.
....
Recently I lost all the clams(5-6) I had in my tank, one of which was a 6-7yr old derasa I grew to the size of a football. I understand I may have introduced something when I added a few clams earlier this year. Now I am looking to get back in the clam game, but I would like to know the best way to treat any clam I introduce into my tank. FW dip? Should they be treated in a quarantine tank before being introduced into the display? And if so, what do you recommend to treat them with?
I would set up a QT system and QT all clams prior to add them into your tank. FWD is also a logical thing to do but you still need QT even with FWD.
 
In a short time, there are many pits in the mantle. what is it? I didn't see any snail.
WechatIMG3.jpeg
 
Did you add any chemical into the tank? Maybe they were not completely dissolved and happen to land on the clam?
Something injured it. Unlikely to be a fish or invert pecking at it because this would cause the clam to close up.
 
How to maxima clams respond to encroaching coral growth? Do they move, does the coral sting and hurt them? Will the coral encrust them until they die? Or will it encrust and both thrive?

I've Google and searched and searched but I can't get a straightforward answer to my question. Does anybody have any idea?
 
Certain coral will sting but others does not. Coral sometime overgrowth and shade the clam and kill it. Clam cannot move in any appreciable, significant way. When they settle, that is it for them. They can only move down, certainly not up.
 
Certain coral will sting but others does not. Coral sometime overgrowth and shade the clam and kill it. Clam cannot move in any appreciable, significant way. When they settle, that is it for them. They can only move down, certainly not up.
Are monti and acros among those likely to sting?
 
IME, these does not sting clam much at all. Just have to frag the corals that overgrowth the clam
 
They can, but I would be more worried about them shading the clam.
I have no problem pruning any overgrowth, but the only spot for my clams are in close proximity to sps corals. They will definitely grow into the clams. Anything that could shade them would be easily fragged though
 
Hello
I do not understand why my clame not open fully in the past 2 days.
I make a water check and all partner looking okay for my.
Andreas
15787986616877339407174537822782.jpg
 
How to maxima clams respond to encroaching coral growth? Do they move, does the coral sting and hurt them? Will the coral encrust them until they die? Or will it encrust and both thrive?

I've Google and searched and searched but I can't get a straightforward answer to my question. Does anybody have any idea?

Well I have sps that got on my shell an have to scrap at one time it was covers all over but clam still thrives se In this pic on the lady side u cam see

53E66F50-7AF3-427B-8803-57073ED16A39.jpeg
 
53e66f50-7af3-427b-8803-57073ed16a39-jpeg.1371540

937f5f84-e0af-4ab7-ad72-f46e6354dace-jpeg.1371542



This series of pictures show the clam is been stung by the Green Star polyps. The mantle retracted and injured. This clam will not do well in this situation long term. If this is in my tank I would take the clam out and peel the GSP off of the shell of the clam.
 
The original article to this thread was written 11 years ago. Much has changed in what we have learned. Is there an update to the parameters? Like not having your system too clean?
 
Did my best to try and read through as many posts as possible, and I guess I'll never find a general consensus but here goes. Have had this clam for about 4 months. It's been growing and looks healthy. I placed it directly on the sandbed from day 1, and although it moved a little bit here and there, it always remained upright. Two weeks ago it fell on its side. I was planning on doing a water change that weekend, so just let it be until then. That weekend I tried to set it upright, and it was attached to the closest rock. I understand they are rock dwelling clams, and that I should've placed it on some kind of rock/clam holder from the beginning, that's my fault. I don't want to disturb it now that it's attached, but I've also read of some people carefully slicing as close to the rock as possible to move clams. I don't want to take this risk, but have also read of some people's clams not doing so well on their sides (and others who have clams on their sides for months/years).

So I guess my question is, leave it be or try and move it. I already ordered a clam holder in case I decide to move it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg
 
Did my best to try and read through as many posts as possible, and I guess I'll never find a general consensus but here goes. Have had this clam for about 4 months. It's been growing and looks healthy. I placed it directly on the sandbed from day 1, and although it moved a little bit here and there, it always remained upright. Two weeks ago it fell on its side. I was planning on doing a water change that weekend, so just let it be until then. That weekend I tried to set it upright, and it was attached to the closest rock. I understand they are rock dwelling clams, and that I should've placed it on some kind of rock/clam holder from the beginning, that's my fault. I don't want to disturb it now that it's attached, but I've also read of some people carefully slicing as close to the rock as possible to move clams. I don't want to take this risk, but have also read of some people's clams not doing so well on their sides (and others who have clams on their sides for months/years).

So I guess my question is, leave it be or try and move it. I already ordered a clam holder in case I decide to move it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

I would move it so it is upright and can get more light. By the time it releases from being light starved it may be too late to save it. It’s nerve racking to cut threads at 1st but it’s not abig deal and pretty easy.
 
I just got a new maxima (on June 21) and placed it really high up on my rocks. It’s attached, but seems to be moving?? It’s inching its way off the rocks and I’m afraid it’s going to fall into my hammer garden and be burned to death. I’d be crushed if this happened cause it’s the most expensive coral I’ve ever bought and the prettiest I’ve ever seen. Is that normal? Will it fall? What should I do? Also, the LFS guy said I need to feed it live phyto every couple of days because it’s only about 2”. Is that true? Thanks for any and all advice!
2597708E-6B6A-4E78-85AF-64F9566D6E20.jpeg
4FF0A788-4FCF-4FBE-B170-A5386817C4A1.jpeg
This picture was on June 21, notice position on the rocks.
06ABEA9D-7544-4466-81A3-9AD386B5DB64.jpeg

This pic was on July 8th, notice movement towards the edge.
E48A0845-84A8-43FB-9BEB-44599BC5EE31.jpeg
Here’s the placement in my tank, as you can see, it’s very high up
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top