Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Ok here are some pics under white as he was closing up a bit.. I am at 60% and will retest PAR tomorrow. What spot light do you recommend? That is a great idea!

clam1.jpg clam2.jpg clam3.jpg clam4.jpg
There’s barely new growth, I think you can bump up the intensity faster than what you’re currently doing. 50 micro moles every couple days shouldn’t be an issue with clams. Just monitor as you go.
 
Ok here are some pics under white as he was closing up a bit.. I am at 60% and will retest PAR tomorrow. What spot light do you recommend? That is a great idea!
I was thinking something like this... Par 20 or if you wanted to go to Par 30 size spotlight for more power. Harder to find a narrow beam in the larger size though.

6000k 12w LED with 24 degree beam angle. Can just get a small clip on bulb holder at the hardware store or something. Standard screw in socket.

bulb
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was thinking something like this... Par 20 or if you wanted to go to Par 30 size spotlight for more power. Harder to find a narrow beam in the larger size though.

6000k 12w LED with 24 degree beam angle. Can just get a small clip on bulb holder at the hardware store or something. Standard screw in socket.

bulb

Cool.. so the clam doesn't need RGB?
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Alright. Got the spotlight hooked up and he's sitting at 275 PAR now. :)
 
Here’s an updated video of the clam. Does he still look ok to you guys?

You can see the increased light has caused little GHA growth which I will be tackling

 
Here’s an updated video of the clam. Does he still look ok to you guys?

You can see the increased light has caused little GHA growth which I will be tackling

Looks good, but it's hard to see the shell in the blue light. Just make sure you keep seeing that nice white new shell growth. Get some CUC for algae, that's their job. ;)
 
Clam is still looking good as far as I can tell... I am seeing nice white shell growth when closed... and it is only at about 200 PAR. Thoughts on the flow here? Too much or ok?

 
Clam is still looking good as far as I can tell... I am seeing nice white shell growth when closed... and it is only at about 200 PAR. Thoughts on the flow here? Too much or ok?

You may want to think about increasing the par if possible. 200 may be enough but seems on the low side. Clams will look good for a while even if par is not enough.. then they don't after a month or 3 and it's usually too late.
 
I would also rec increase in PAR. However the clam looks fine. Not over extended as expected if it does not get enough light. More light will give it better coloration.
 
Thx. I may end up having to rehome it. I really don’t have a higher place in my tank to put it and I can’t increase light intensity without affecting my corals. :(
 
Can you put a spot light on it. My clams and Magnifica anemone do very well with a 6500K LED spot light shine on it, in addition to normal tank light. If you have a hood, this may be easy arrange.
 
Hi all, I bought a 9” squamosa, doesnt seem to have a defined growth rim.It is fully opened tough, reacting to shadowing. Will it resume growth if provided the right conditions ?

System is 550 gallons
alk 7.5
Ca 420
mg 1280
no3 2.5
po4 0.02-3
clam is 10 inches under 2 ati 4x24W powermodules and a gavita plasma 290 W in between.
Clam is fully open, pics are from the 1st day when adding him.
Sorry for the dirty viewing port :)
44E67CC9-77F1-410C-8686-8211989ADD78.jpeg
A8FB8F12-8B3C-4893-A0B2-01A58D9A1E28.jpeg
 
The T5’s aren’t giving you much light, but depending on the spectrum of the grow light, you should be okay? You should start to see new growth within a week or so, if not in a matter of days. Clams will grow at different rates throughout their lives, but you should always see some new growth no matter what.
 
The T5’s aren’t giving you much light, but depending on the spectrum of the grow light, you should be okay? You should start to see new growth within a week or so, if not in a matter of days. Clams will grow at different rates throughout their lives, but you should always see some new growth no matter what.
There is no growth edge on it. That is my question if it will resume the growth provided the right conditions.The main light is a plasma 290 W.Today he looks like this.
4ED7241B-F114-4831-BA5D-400189931DBA.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top