Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

There is no growth edge on it. That is my question if it will resume the growth provided the right conditions.The main light is a plasma 290 W.Today he looks like this.
4ED7241B-F114-4831-BA5D-400189931DBA.jpeg
Yes, if conditions are right and it hasn’t suffered from the lack of light, it should resume normal growth.
 
I was cleaning my glass and looked up from under my clam and noticed this tiny hole. Hole is in the first photo.
IMG_4642.jpeg


It seems fine. Anything I should be worried about? I’m hoping something just took a bite. IMG_4643.jpeg
 
Could be from a number of things, but I would be concerned about the lack of growth on the shell, especially on that size of derasa. There should be a pretty good growth rim on the upper margins of the shell. Otherwise, the clam looks healthy mantle-wise.
 
Could be from a number of things, but I would be concerned about the lack of growth on the shell, especially on that size of derasa. There should be a pretty good growth rim on the upper margins of the shell. Otherwise, the clam looks healthy mantle-wise.

Thank you. Yeah, I have noticed the lack of growth. When I got it over a year ago I got a ton of growth. Lighting, parameters and inhabitants have been consistent. The only change is my clown has been hosting the clam for the past few months. When it started I researched and saw that it wasn’t an issue for others, so I never thought anything of it.
 
Last edited:
That looks normal to me, it's just part of the byssal organ/tissue. They will excrete a mild acid from that area in order to "bore" into hard substrate/rock. The byssal threads keep them in place, then the surrounding tissue will slowly "melt" away the solid rock, creating a divot, which the clam uses to help protect the vulnerable underside.
 
Will this Zoanthid that is touching my Squamousa clam be a problem???
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 31
It maybe a problem. If it is you will see the clam retracted from the sting.
 
This looks like a bite mark or an infection. I caught my blenny biting my clam frequently. He had not extended. Until I removed the blenny he immediately extended.
1000039460.jpg
1000039461.jpg
 
This looks like a bite mark or an infection. I caught my blenny biting my clam frequently. He had not extended. Until I removed the blenny he immediately extended.
1000039460.jpg
1000039461.jpg
It's hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a nip from the mantle. What blenny, tailspot?
 
It's hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a nip from the mantle. What blenny, tailspot?
lawnmower blenny . The blenny nipping at it all day long since I moved the clam higher. He sometimes nipping right in the middle
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top